Chapter 46 - Charitable Saint

"Your Holiness, it's truly a fantastic opportunity to be able to work with you."

Priest Fernandez and I had already had a few lessons together, so I knew his words had a deeper meaning. We were having class in a sitting room, now part of my routine, and I drummed a finger on the arm of my chair.

"Do you have something in mind?"

"Merely that it would be marvellous if you held a charity event. Many nobles donate just enough to appear devout, but Your Holiness is both a lady and the saint, so it would be deeply inspiring."

"Ah, I see. I agree."

With my slightly better understanding of the temple and its priests, I could say with confidence that most cared about God about as much as nobles cared about the commoners we ruled over. The world was always all about money, including donations that mysteriously lessened and priests living in more comfort that God likely approved of.

"In fact, I've asked Her Grace to arrange something. It's excellent for House Avington to openly show its support for the temple."

I leaned in, frowning with irritation and my nails digging into the armrests. Did he forget who was in charge here?"

"The last time I checked, I was the saint and the successor to House Avington, not you. The next time you make a decision without informing me, I'm sure the temple will gladly arrange for a new tutor."

"Of course, Your Holiness. My apologies."

If he was surprised by my attitude, he didn't show it. Over the short time we'd had lessons, I'd started revealing more of my true self, because of how exhausting it was to keep up my facade. Despite him being a senior priest, I was the saint, and he was in no position to threaten me. I knew he was here to keep an eye on me for the temple, but the high priests likely wouldn't mind as long as I looked good in public.

Or this could be a test, from the temple or himself. If they wanted to see if I was a real saint, I was doomed to fail eventually. Except with their support, the lie would be the truth in the eyes of everyone else, and that was enough. However, they needed to know I wasn't a child for them to take advantage of, and I expected our relationship to be fair. In fact, it was a sign of trust for me to show who I really was to my tutor.

"Since you've made the decision without me, there isn't anything further to discuss. Give the books you mentioned earlier to my maid, and you're dismissed."

He was all right as a tutor, but I disliked his attitude, someone that obviously didn't know his place. Actually, I was glad I could arrange things with Mother instead of with him. I would have done it anyways, but the problem was with his priorities.

I headed to Mother's room. She sat behind her desk, working on papers, and beamed when I came in. She waved me to sit.

"Come, darling, you're as pretty as usual. Did the priest tell you about the occasion yet?"

"Yes, Mother. He said you were going to organize things."

"Indeed, he asked me to. A bit impudent of him, I never liked those priests much. You can handle it, if you want."

"No, I'd prefer it if you did. And don't worry, I've dealt him."

Mother smiled excitedly and patted my hands. She pulled open a drawer and took out a sheet of paper.

"I was hoping you would say that. Here, I was thinking of a concert, and we could have you and your friends play. We can say it's for the avalanche that happened recently at Mount Wolfbourg, to help those whose villages were destroyed."