Words Cobbled with Stone

**~~~~~**

Chapter Two | Words Cobbled with Stone

**~~~~~**

I ran as fast as I could through the cobbled stone streets, past the shops, and practically leapt through the door as two other female patrons were leaving.

"Sorry!" I called after them, to which the two mothers with children on their hips began muttering about unruly behavior.

Rude.

Anyway! Moving on!

I scurried to the counter past the beautiful array of dried flowers and rocks cracked open to reveal veins of nameless color. The smell alone had me hypnotized the moment I stepped into the stone building.

"Kendel?" I called, poking my head up over the counter to spot the middle-aged man trimming an aloe plant by the back of the counter. His smile had a youthful vigor to it and his eyes, hidden slightly by a pair of oval spectacles that perched on the edge of his nose, had a way of twinkling like geodes.

Yes.

I liked this place.

Unlike some of the other adults here in Creewood, Kendel didn't care about my background. He never got that look in his eye like the others did when they saw me.

"Well, sprout, good 'te see ye'," he said, his odd accent giving him a twang of charm. I smiled, liking the way he called me sprout. "Wha' brings ye' in t'day?" He continued scraping the aloe from the plant into a thick, clear glass jar. The goopy, clear liquid plopped into the jar with a satisfying *thunk*.

"Trading some herbs and stones," I said, hoisting my bag onto the counter. "And, if I'm lucky, I won't miss a lot of story time at the school."

"Ah! I see! Well, sprout, I'll not keep ye' long. Just le' me nip 'en tuck this right 'ere. Now, what'll ye' 'ave for me?"

I wasted no time in pulling out all of the things momma gave to me, and Kendel's eyes widened when he saw some of those items.

"Oh, dis 'ere is some quality product," he smiled. "Le' me fetch some coin."

"Thank you," I replied, suddenly remembering some of the things I collected. "Oh! Wait! I found a few things here too."

Kendel's soft green eyes latched onto my satchel as I pulled out the few stones and flowers I harvested.

"Oh! Mighty treasures indeed," said Kendel as he gingerly took the stone from my hand and examined it, brushing back the few wisps of brown-white hair from his face that were not latched into his low ponytail. "Well, I'll take the stones from ye', but ye' ought 'ter keep those plants. Wood sorrel is good for cuts an' scrapes. So is tha' yarrow."

I stared at the plants in my hand in awe. I learned something new! This was shaping up to be a great day.

Kendel gave me a sack of assorted coins, which I made sure to count like momma taught me, and waved good-bye before leaving the shop and heading back into the open air outside. The smell of fresh bread wafted through the air as did the scents of flowers and roasting meat. It was an odd combination, but it would have to wait.

I had places to go to.

As fast as I could, I raced toward the schoolhouse, toes burning on the sunbaked cobbled stones, so I could hear story time.

As I ran, I could feel the eyes of some of the townsfolk on me. They probably suspected where I was going, and I sensed their disapproval. I glimpsed a few of them shaking their heads. It made me angry and sad all at the same time.