Chapter 30

AVA

Tears stream down my face, my whole body shaking as he finished. I look at him, he looked at me, he didn't look the same.

His eyes were cold, and dark, with sadness. He was broken. My feet moved backwards and I ran out of the room, out of the mansion.

I ran out of his life.

I ran, and ran until I reached my house, the sun was coming up, my dad was on the porch reading the newspaper.

"Ava?", he stands up and I ignore him and walk inside and search for my mom, when she hears my dad calling me, she comes out of the kitchen.

"Ava", she looks at me surprised, "I thought you will come later", she says and I turn my eyes towards my dad.

How could he kill his own daughter?

"I was with Lorenzo Moretti", I say my dad and he look at me surprised, "And I think you know who he is to us".

"Ava what -", I cut my mom off and take a step towards my father.

"He is Sarah's husband, your son in law, and my brother in law", I say and my father clenches his jaw, "Right dad?".

"Sarah you don't know anything", he says and my mom looks back and forth between us.

"Mom", I look at her, "Sarah never ran away", I look at my father with a glare, "Dad killed her", I say.

My mom gasp, and tears fill her eyes, the spatula on her hand falls down, "D -Darold", she looks at my father and he glares at me.

"Darold what is Ava talking about?", my mom asks my father and walks closer to him.

My dad lounges at me, holding me by my arms, "Stop saying shit", his jaw clenches, "go to your room!", he grits his teeth digging his nails on my arms.

I push him, he stumbles and looks at me surprised, "How could you, dad?", I ask him tears streaming down my eyes.

"And you killed their son", I say and my mom gasp, she places her palms on her mouth as she cries.

"I HAD TO!", my dad screams, I flinch and so does mom, "She married a mafia man", he looks at my mom.

"I – I didn't mean to kill her", he starts to sob, "I pointed the gun at Lorenzo", he weeps, "b – but she pushed him away".

"I shot her accidently", he says and my mom looks at him with no emotion, only sadness.

We were a happy family, why did dad have to do this? He could have let her go on her own and live her life.

"Darold!", my mom yells at my father for the first time I've heard, "HOW COULD YOU?!", holds his collars and shakes him.

"My l – little daughter", she sobs, tightening the hold on my dads' collar, he looks at her as he cries as well.

"I raised her up", she says and pushes him, "from the time she was formed till she left to study", my mom clutches her heart.

"I raised her, while you were away working the nights away, I consoled her when she cried", my mom cries.

"Every time she was in pain, I cried with her, when she was happy, I laughed with her", she looks at my father.

"How could you take her life in just a moment?", she glares at my father, "The life I gave her", my mom looks at my father with hatred in her eyes.

"She would have been in so much p - pain", my mom sobs, "My little girl, my p - princess", she cries and I hug her.

"It would have hurt her", she looks at me, "And I couldn't do anything for her", she cries as she hugs me back.

I take my mom to her room, she cries and I watch her cry looking at my sister's photos and videos. She hugged her clothes which she left.

She cried her self to sleep. I waited till she was asleep. I cover her with the blanket and go to my room.

I pull out the duffel bag, I pack my bags and walk down the stairs to see my father drunk for the first time.

He had a photo of our family, his thumb caressing Sarah, "My princess", he whispers taking a swing from the bottle.

I walk out, this is too much for me, my broken family, I can't watch them, and Lorenzo, I can't face him.

I need space, I need Sarah, my best friend.

Sarah is gone, my best friend is gone and she will never come back.

I walk, far away as I can, I take my card out, the money I saved to study, i get on the bus and pay the driver.

I sit on the very end, corner of the bus. I take my phone out and I see my wallpaper, it's Sarah and me on my high school graduation day.

I'll never see her again, I'll never see her smile, and I'll never hear her voice.

I take my earphones out and plug in, I click on the playlist, the one Sarah made for me, when were kids.

I look at the window, and the city outside, my eyes fill with tears as I remember the memories with her.

I listen to her playlist, over and over again even though my ears hurt, I listen till I reach while I cry, for my sister, my best friend.

I miss Sarah.