Pt XIII: Elaha

Maybe the reason we don't let you in, is because we fear that if you see who we truly are you will leave. And I'll wake up and realize this was all a dream

We sit in IV's car waiting for it to warm up and I watch him pull on a hoodie and change his mask so he'd be less noticeable in public. I said yes to leaving with him to grab some food for the band because I needed to some space alone from Vessel and his sudden change in behavior. 

Oddly enough, his behavior slightly resembled my intruder from a few nights before and I wasn't sure where this animosity was stemming from. Was I the problem? Or was it the stress of the band? I was pulled out of my thoughts when IV put a casual hand on my knee, which I was subconsciously bouncing. I looked at his large hand trying to pull my thoughts together. 

"You okay?" Am I? I shrug my shoulders and look at his eyes through the mask, I could say I'm okay and just lie but I've been harboring emotions for far too long and one look at his honest eyes and the dam breaks. "N-No, I'm not. If I'm not helpful for the team or in reigniting the fame for your band I can leave or I can at least find someone that can help." I hold back tears and wring my hands frantically as my mind reels. "I have a lot of connections outside of the medical field, maybe a lawyer or a social media expert or even a photographer...Yes, I can find someone they would be more helpful and free of the burdens I have." 

I feel like I'm spouting nonsense and just rambling but I honestly don't see what Vessel's problem is when everyone else treats me as their friend. "He doesn't see you any differently." IV says calmly. Shit. Did I say that out loud? I mean not that Vessel's opinion matters or anything and he's not the reason I'm upset. Yea right Elaha. "It's not that, I just- " He moves his hand from my knee to wrap it around my shoulder in a comforting hug and I freeze, suddenly remembering the cause of everything. I pull back from the embrace and look at IV, "wait, tell me everything about Sleep." 

He tenses and turns to begin driving. I shrink back in my seat already regretting the question, I open my mouth to change the topic and to apologize but he cuts me off.  "She's caused a lot of issues for the band. For example, the platforms that we upload the songs on she often blocks streams with her advertisements to reduce our income or spreads false personal stories about the band to demoralize us in front of our fans." 

He pulls into a parking lot of a local Chinese take-out place and steps out. Behind him I see a figure move towards the trees I shift to the edge of my seat for a closer look but IV blocks my view and opens the door for me, "come on let's get some food and we'll talk about this later okay?" Biting my lip distractedly I let him guide me inside the restaurant, when we get in line and IV's distracted looking at the menu, I sneak closer to the door to see if I really saw the man from a few nights before. My heart pounds rapidly in my chest as I catch him standing close to IV's car and when his head begins to turn, I feel IV approaching and he gently places a hand on my lower back "where did you go? don't run off if I lose you I-" I turn to look at him and whisper, "shh-look" pointing at the car.

Adrenaline rushes into my veins when the man catches site of IV next to me and he moves closer to the entrance of the restaurant. Is he the same man as before?  IV simply smirks and guides me away to pick up the food, "just ignore it, some fool trying to get attention." 

"I don't think so, it seemed directed at me." I argue and he exhales loudly, never once letting go of me. "Oh it was. Just let it be, you're safe with me." I sigh and grab a few bags of the food to help, he's right I do feel safe with him. I decide to distract myself with the idea of food until we get back.  I look at the bags as we approach the trunk of the car, "Why is there so much food? Will you guys actually eat all of this?" Probably. I mean they're a bunch of men honestly they would probably eat my portion too if I would let them. I grin and shake my head looking at the food. Suddenly, I realize that IV never responded to my question and the trunk is still locked....and I'm alone.