⁕50⁕

"Yes

"Yes. Yes, I really like him."

I said, and I could feel the heat creeping up my cheek.

But it was confusing for me because his entire facial expression changed into a strange one. That was how it appeared to me, as I had never seen him with this expression before. His eyes reflected pain as well as something else.

He clenched his jaw and turned away, removing his arm.

I sighed and put my hand on his bicep. "What is wrong with you, Rohit? You have been acting strange, why?"

When he turned to face me, I immediately removed my hand. His eyes were moist, and I looked around nervously.

Why is he crying? I did not even say anything to him! What the hell?

"Can you not see Birdie?"

Is there something I am supposed to see, but what? I took another look around, and Barkha and the siblings were busy talking, and the children were lost in their own world.

"Uh... I am not sure what I should see, Roh-"

"I like you, Nini. I always did, but I never mentioned it because you were going through a lot after Aditya. And then Rudra entered the picture, out of nowhere. I am now deeply regretting it and only if I had said it sooner, you might have agreed with me."

Rohit confessed, and I sat frozen in my seat, my heart in my throat. It is becoming nearly impossible for me to move.

Rudra's voice rang in the back of my head when he was trying to tell me the same thing. I was stubborn and refused to believe him.

He takes my hand in his and says, "Say something."

I looked at him and slowly drew my hands away from him. "I am sorry." I am not sure why I said it. I got to my feet and went outside.

I need some fresh air.

I never imagined he would have such feelings for me.

When I heard his footsteps following behind me, I quickened my pace. I turned to face him when he called my name.

"I am not sure what you expect me to say, Rohit."

"So you do not like me?" he asks, taking one step towards me.

"I do, but only as a friend, in the same way that I like Barkha, and not in the way you want me to be. I had always considered you a friend, and nothing more."

"Have I ever crossed your mind as becoming more than a friend?"

I shook my head, truthfully. "Even if you had confessed earlier, nothing would have changed between us." I sighed and said it slowly.

I felt bad because his face contorted into a deeply hurt one.

"Can we continue to be friends? I do not want to lose you as my best friend," he said as he approached me.