Chapter thirty-one

Possible TW: Mentions of grief

It had been a slow morning for the two wives. Maya had gone on a slow run, while Carina relaxed and did some house tasks. After Maya had showered, they enjoyed breakfast together at the dining table.

''I've been texting back and forth with Mason.'' Maya suddenly said. They hadn't really talked about it during their vacation. It was a touchy subject for Maya, and Carina wanted to wait until her wife was ready to talk about it.

Carina put her cutlery down and gave Maya her full attention. A small head nod encouraged Maya to keep going.

''I don't know when, but we want to grab a cup of coffee together soon.'' Maya explained. They siblings had been texting for two weeks now, getting to know each other little by little again. And Maya finally felt comfortable enough to meet her brother again.

Carina reached across the table for Maya's hand. ''I'm very proud of you, bambina. I know it wasn't easy for you to reach out to him again.'' Sincerity made itself present in her voice.

''Thank you.'' Maya smiled a little. It was still a difficult subject to talk about, and she didn't want to carry on with the conversation. ''Sofia still hasn't come downstairs. It's almost 11am. I'm going to see if everything is alright.'' Maya told her wife.

Carina nodded, they shared a slow kiss and then Maya disappeared upstairs.

She knocked on Sofia's door, but she got no reaction, so she slowly opened it.

Sofia was still in bed. Her back was towards the door, so Maya couldn't see her face. She moved more towards her daughter, shaking her slightly.

''Hey, Soof.''

''Wake up, bubs.''

After a few attempts, Sofia moved and slowly woke up.

''Hi, bubs, how are you.'' Sofia stayed silent and turned her head away from Maya again.

Maya was now crouched over her daughter. ''Do you want me to lay next to you for a couple minutes?'' Maya gently asked. Worry rushed through her body, because this was not how Sofia usually behaved. She was normally very active and extraverted, but something seemed to bother her this morning, and Maya wanted to find out what it was as soon as possible.

Sofia softly nodded, so Maya made her way on to the bed and positioned herself behind Sofia. She moved one arm around her daughter's stomach, while the other one was playing with Sofia's hair.

Maya had been holding Sofia in silence for 5 minutes, when they both heard the door crack. Carina was standing in the doorway. She hadn't heard any noise since Maya went upstairs, so she wanted to check if everything was alright. Even though she couldn't see neither of their faces, she knew something was up.

While Sofia didn't move, Maya looked back at her wife, signaling that something was wrong, but she didn't know what.

Carina moved to the other side of the bed, so she could face Sofia. She layed her hand on Sofia's cheek.

''Ciao, bambina. Cosa c'è che non va?'' She softly asked to which Sofia responded by closing her eyes.

Sofia let out a big breath and moved so she could sit up. Maya got behind her and Carina went to sit at the side of the bed.

Sofia's head rested on Maya's chest. Maya's arms where tightly holding Sofia, while Carina sat in front of her with one hand on Sofia's upper leg and one hand on her face, softly moving her thumb up and down in a calming motion.