Chapter twenty-one

[POV: Sofia]

"Are you kidding me?"

Maya and Carina just told me they are pregnant with twins. There having two babies now. The knew they were getting one when they got me, but now with two, I probably have to leave.

"Are you not excited about that, bubs?" Mom asked me worriedly.

I feel very overwhelmed and my eyes were getting teary. "I'm happy for you guys." I manage to get out, my voice full with emotion.

"But these don't look like happy tears, bambina." Mama told me as she got up from her seat to hug me.

"Because I don't want to leave. I love you." I cried. They were both hugging me and trying to comfort me, but I felt inconsolable.

"What do you mean, bubs? Why would you have to leave?" Mom asked me, as she looked me in the eyes and wiped my tears away.

"Because you'll have an extra baby. I mean, you knew that there was a chance you were pregnant when you met me, but that was just one baby. Now there are two so there's no room for me." And after telling them this I started sobbing again.

"You're our daughter bambina. You're not going anywhere. We love you."

"Mama is right bubs. We wouldn't want it any other way"

"But, but... Are you sure?" I looked up at them.

"Of course we are piccolina." Mama said.

We stayed cuddled together for a few more minutes, and then we moved to the couch.

"So what do you think about the twins?" Mom asked me while we were watching an episode of friends.

"I'm actually going to have two siblings again?" I asked them excitedly.

"Yes you are piccolina!"

"I think I'm excited then. Tomas and Nora were the best part of my life. I would love to have siblings again." I told them.

After one more episode, they went up to my room with me. After I got ready for bed, they tucked me in together and Carina sang 'avrai' to me, before I fell asleep.

[POV: Maya]

With a deep sigh, I plop down on the couch next to Carina. "That was so sad. She thought she actually had to leave." I cuddled op close to her.

"I know bambina. She's probably mistrustful because of the way she was raised."

"More like the way she wasn't." I sigh.

Carina is playing with my hair. That always comforts me.

"We're still going to have to have a talk with her about school." Carina said to me. I agreed and told her that we'll talk to her about it when it's feels right, but it should be soon.

The next day, Carina drove Sofia to school while Maya went to work.

[POV: Carina]

I was driving Sofia to school. Normally it doesn't take more than 15 minutes, but there was a lot of traffic today. After 5 minutes, Sofia suddenly turned quiet, and she seemed in her own world. After a few minutes I decided to get her out of this state.

"Talk to me Sofia. What's going on beautiful girl?" I asked her while we were waiting for a red light."

"How did you deal with losing your brother?" She asked me. That made me think hard.

"I was a mess the first week. I didn't sleep or eat. Your mom took a week off from work and she helped me a lot. She tried to meet my needs and she took care of everything I needed to do." My eyes were on the traffic light, but I could feel Sofia was listening closely.