Chapter twenty-six

''Soo, am I going to have brothers or sisters?'' Sofia asked as soon as she entered the car. Maya and Carina were just picking her up from Andy's house.

''Wait! Wait! Don't go yet!'' Andy came running out of the house. A bit out of breath, she ran next to the car. Maya stopped and rolled down the window.

''I can't wait anymore. What's the gender?'' Andy puffed.

''We were just going to tell Sofia.'' Carina said.

Impatiently, Sofia said: ''Well, what are you waiting for!''

Maya and Carina laughed. ''They are boys.'' Maya said.

Andy put her fists in the air. ''Yes, that's great! Congratulations guys, I'm so happy for you.''

While Sofia was also excited. ''Boys? For real? I was hoping they would be boys!'' She exclaimed.

While there was still a lot to do before the babies arrive, there were other things happening first. Sofia's 12th birthday for example, is in less than a week. Maya and Carina had invited a couple of Sofia's friends over, plus some people from the hospital and the station. They had also already ordered the perfect gift for their daughter.

The day before Sofia's birthday was the 4th of July. The family was going to the station for dinner, and eventually watch the fireworks. It was also Maya's first day back at work since the encounter with Lane.

''Nineteen!'' Maya loudly said as she entered the beanery at the start of her shift.

''Cap your back!'' Vic exclaimed, and more cheerful sounds came from the rest of the firefighters.

Maya smiled. ''Morning everyone. I'm happy to be back again. It's the fourth of July, so expect a busy day. But first, enjoy breakfast.'' She grabbed a plate and joined the rest of the guys.

They were all just making normal conversation when Vic suddenly stopped everyone from talking. ''Maya, Maya, do you know the gender yet?'' She asked excitedly.

''Yes, we do. We're having two boys.'' Maya announced.

Vic jumped up. ''Oh my god congratulations, Maya!''

The rest of the team congratulated her as well.

''Ooh, I guess this is for you guys, then.'' Maya gave Travis, Cody and Robert their fair share of money from the bet.

LADDER NINETEEN, ENGINE NINETEEN, AID CAR NINETEEN, BACKUP REQUESTED AT MARROW BOULEVARD

Meanwhile Carina and Sofia were shopping together. It's important to Carina to spend time with her daughter alone, because she will have less time when the twins arrive.

The mall was very busy. The two had been into several shops, having bought some new clothes for both of them, and a laptop for Sofia. She's going into middle school after the summer, and at her new school, a laptop is necessary.

''There is a baby store over there. Would you like get some clothes for your brothers?'' Carina asked.

''Yes please!'' Sofia got all excited. She took Carina's hand and paced through the mall towards the baby store.

They were both casually looking around. Maya had a whole list of things she was going to order, so they didn't have to worry anymore about getting a stroller and a car seat for example. Instead, they were in the clothing section.

''Look at this.'' Sofia said, while holding a tiny, red romper with a firetruck on it.

She gave it to Carina. ''Your mom would love that.'' She smiled.