Chapter twenty-eight

''Soof, do you know what this says? Carina's grocery list is really a mix of English and Italian.'' Maya laughed.

''I'll look, let me see.'' Maya gave the list to her hopefully soon-to-be official daughter.

''It says cipolle, so onions.''

''Thanks bubs.'' Maya gave her a kiss on the head and grabbed three onions. The family was going to eat at the station today. They are going on vacation tomorrow, so this way, they didn't have to do any dishes. Besides, Carina offered to help with the cooking, an offer that the firefighters would never pass.

''Are you excited for tomorrow?'' Maya asked as they were searching for flour.

Sofia nodded. ''Yeah! I saw that they had a really big aquarium. I thought maybe we could go there once?'' She hopefully asked.

''I'll ask your mama, but I think that is something we could do, sure.'' Maya agreed.

As Sofia continued to talk about the aquarium and other things to do at Long Beach, Maya noticed a familiar man. A tall, blond man was inspecting the tomatoes at the vegetable section. It wasn't until he turned around that Maya knew why she recognized him. She froze as she looked into the same piercing blue eyes as hers.

''Mom, mom what's wrong?'' Sofia pulled on Maya t-shirt in an attempt to get her attention.

''Hey, you ok?''

By now, Maya's heart was already beating like a maniac. Sofia followed her gaze but didn't recognize the man.

''Mom, look at me.'' Maya still didn't respond.

Sofia reached for Maya's head, so Maya wasn't looking at the man anymore.

''Breathe mom, you're ok.''

''In and out mom, you got this.'' Sofia coached.

It took more than a few seconds, but eventually, Maya's eyes met her daughter's eyes. After a minute, she had caught her breath again.

Sofia still didn't know what had happened but tried to comfort her mom by wrapping Maya in a hug.

''Who was that man?'' Sofia asked when their hug was over.

''It's Mason.''

''Who's Mason?'' Sofia questioned.

''He's my brother.''

''You have a brother? I had no idea. Why don't you go say hi?'' Sofia frowned.

Maya sighed. ''I haven't seen him in six years. What do I say, remember me? Oh, and by the way, this is your niece, and I'm married to a woman.''

''I can go to a different isle if you want.'' Sofia offered.

Maya thought about it. She wanted to speak to her brother, but she didn't want to leave Sofia. Her daughter was important, and this might give her the feeling that Maya didn't want Mason to know that Sofia called her mom.

''Are you sure you're ok with that?'' Maya asked.

''I wouldn't pass the chance to speak to Nora or Tomas, so go.'' Sofia urged.

Maya but a hand on her shoulder, nodded as a way of saying thank you, and then left to look for Mason, who had already gone into a different isle.

She walked through the store, looking left and right at every isle she passed, until finally, the siblings' eyes met.

Maya stood still, as her brother approached her.