Chapter 23

©mugiichan, 2015

Deep Secret

***

"Good morning! Have a nice day! :)"

Ang mensaheng ito ang unang bumungad sa'kin nang inabot ko ang iPhone ko mula sa side table ng kama ko. Pagbasa nang pagbasa ko, nahulog sa mga kamay ko ang phone at sumalampak sa mukha ko. Instead of what I usually do when that happens to me which is to rant, all I did was to smile so widely like my face's gonna tear out. I can't help myself not to smile as I continue to stare on the galaxy-designed ceiling of my room while keeping my phone down in my chest. I always fascinate stars and galaxies since I'm a little kid. Alalang-alala ko pa ang malagalaxy na kwarto ko noong naninirahan pa kami sa Korea. I'm still thankful that mom remembered that special trait of mine. As I picked my phone from my face, I can't just stop to read it back and smile again so wide at the message I got from him. Yes, it was from Thaddeus. It was very unusual to have this text from him. At this very point, I asked myself that is he really the one who typed this message and send it to me? Maybe he's just made it wrong send, who would have thought? Who would be a Thaddeus Avana send me a good morning text that has a smiley face? Seriously? That silent, serious and that enigmatic jerk would really send that to me? Of course that's soooo impossible! But, it is his name was plastered on the sender, he didn't even send a "wrongsend" text after. It was really for me, I suppose. I got up from my bed and sat but still, holding my phone and looking at his text message. I remember all those events that happened last night. Was it really Thaddeus who was with me that night? Is he the one who kneeled down in front of me and put in the wedding garter on my leg? As I glance back on my bedside table, I saw a post-it note that was placed against my picture frame.

Don't forget to have your foot be cold compressed for 10-15 minutes every 3 to 4 hours and, don't push yourself to go to work if you feel any pain. I'll call Ethan to check on you. I'm probably on a plane to Australia whenever you read this note. Take care.

Thaddeus Stuwart Avana, MD, FPCP, FPCC

I chuckled quietly as I rolled my eyes to that note on the last part. Thaddeus Stuwart Avana, MD, FPCP, FPCC. Nahiya naman ako sa daming nakakabit sa pangalan niya. Jeez, is he writing a prescription letter for me? He's taking that cold compress seriously! He doesn't have to make any "prescriptions" for my foot. Ugh! Really, Thad? Do I really have to do that every three to four hours? That's ridiculous! Does he told me that I wasn't allowed to work if my foot's gonna ache? Of course not, I need to work! Walang ibang gagawa noon kundi ako, and I regret teasing Fiona about her being workaholic because this position itself makes me workaholic like her. I can't just tell someone else to substitute me and, there's no way I'm gonna miss it for a lot of paperworks are supposed to be done last night and since it was Trix's wedding, I just let it slip it off. I just cut off that stressful working stuffs and let myself enjoy last night, well I did really enjoyed minus Shaun's appearance. As I glanced back again to his "doctory" handwriting, well a beautiful handwriting to be exact, it really seems like he learned in a architecture school instead of a doctor's residency. I continue to read the last part of the note and my eyes grew wide like saucers of what I've read. He just what?!

Did he just said that he flew to Australia?!

He didn't even told me! I remember that bruise he had on his face yesterday, he didn't even budge to have it compressed last night. All he did is just to put an first-aid on my twisted ankle. Does he really need to go? He should take a little rest before he just went there. He just went from a wedding party and he just flew on the next day just that instant! I hope he's now okay, I sighed. I was about to call him up when someone knocks on my door. I think it's his secretary, Ethan. I paced quickly towards the door and peeked on the peephole and I'm right, it's Ethan on the front door.