Shiro didn't fully register the sound of your voice. In fact, you saw that he was spacing out. It took him a little longer to finally realize you were speaking to him.. and you found it to be slightly worrisome how he'd meet your gaze with a contempt expression. It made you feel like you said something wrong. "Oh, sorry." He apologized, starting to pierce a hole into his beverage using his thin white straw. "This is just all I could afford for the time being."

He took a casual sip. "My mom used to make lunch for me and my brother every day, though she's dead now."

The chopsticks in your hand tilted weakly and beads of nervous sweats rolled down your face. Now you felt guilty-- the tease you attempted to poke at him pretty much backfired. You weren't expecting him to say something as dark as that! "Ah, well--" Quickly, [Y/N], change the subject! "If you want, I can bring you a share of my lunch starting tomorrow?"

You clenched your jaw and bit your tongue. Instinctively, you were inclined to get onto Shiro's good side. Perhaps if you kept up with this level of friendliness; Shiro wouldn't give you that cold malice that you were so wary of. His eyes seemed to brighten by your suggestion; shimmering in happiness ecstatically -- it was unlike anything you've seen from him thus far. "Really? You'd do that for me.. despite being strangers?" A soft smile came from him--costing you a smidge of your lifespan. This guy was acting like a warm puppy towards you and only you.. though when you were reminded about his uncanny personality, you had a few more questions that desired answering.

"Mm. I don't mind." You nodded your head, digging into the rice and curry you packed for yourself. Your bento was made with several other heart-healthy sides like dried seaweed and asparagus .. you had to thank those recipe forums for the delightful combination. "But riddle me this, Shiro. I seriously can't wrap my head around how sudden all of this is. Why you're so mysterious." You started, pointing your chopsticks towards the young man resuming a sip from his banana milk. "Why you happened to transfer here the same day I did."

Leaning your weight against your elbow in which you propped up atop your desk, you played with your food boredly in the meantime. "Look at that, we almost sound like soulmates." It was a dull, harmless joke. An insignificant piece of commentary to bring some more comradery to the table.

"I guess I just really can't shake this feeling I've been having ever since we first met," After picking at your food for a bit longer--you took a bit of rice and munched on it quietly. "It's so blurry. You feel so familiar to me, and it's beginning to drive me crazy." Suddenly you lost your appetite. "Are you sure.. we've never met before?" The questions aside-- deep down, you simply yearned to vent. These pent up frustrations and delirium that arose by the peculiarity of your twin neighbors.. you'd known it was only a matter of time before your curiosity got the better of you.

"..."

There was bitter silence from Shiro's end. It was nerve wracking. "..Ah," He whispered to himself, "Seriously.." Proceeding to unwrap his melon bread from its plastic wrapper, he took a bite and watched the expression you were making carefully. "[L/N], I didn't think you were the crazy type. If you like me, you can just admit so..." The male took another bite-- although he wasn't smiling, you could see his lips were rather tempted to. And on his cheeks had been the faintest tinge of red.

'Huh?? What?!' It felt like a pile of rocks went crashing down on your head, knocking you into a daze that lasted eons. He totally read the conversation incorrectly!! "H-Hold on, you got it all wrong!" You waved your hands erratically and stammered desperately in an attempt to defend yourself.

But instead of indulging in clearing your name, a loud eruption coming from a dramatic student caught the ears of everyone eating their lunches. Kirigiri stood up from her chair and slammed her hand against the desk of Seiichiro Yuuki, excluding jealously as she caused a ruckus. "What do you mean?! You know I've been nothing but good to you this entire time!" She shouted.

"I mean seriously, didn't you say yes to my confession? I thought you liked me back!" Kirigiri placed her hand to her chest, eyebrows twitching in pain whilst her lips were curled into a betrayed scowl. "We were just fine a week ago!"

Seiichiro also stood up. He looked around in concern due to how loud his girl-friend was being, forcing out an awkward laugh so he could calm her nerves. The attention from everyone wasn't appreciated in the slightest. "Listen, you should calm down.." He then sighed, "We can talk about this in a cool manner, can't we?"

A cool manner? Kirigiri clenched her fists as anger rose from the pits of her stomach. She was known to be quite hot-headed towards anyone who gets on her nerves, and her fury seemed pretty impossible to tame. "Ha!" She scoffed, giving Seiichiro a cringe out of disgust. "I bet you're doing all of this because of that stupid new student over there."

Putting you into a situation where it shouldn't be made you halt and stare intensely. The audacity this girl has-- starting up conflict needlessly. Even Shiro looked surprised by the mention of you. "She's using your notebook, after all! Did you honestly think I wouldn't notice? You must think I'm a complete idiot or something!" She explosively stomped her foot, her face reddening like a ripe tomato.

Naturally everyone else turned to look at you, the subject of the argument at hand. Confronted by numerous looks by your peers, you felt intimidated. "His notebook? Ah- no really, that was just a coincidence! I took it from his brother because he offered and I needed help." You pursed your lips. Why were you trying to prove your innocence to this delusional firecracker? "What's your deal, Yatsouba? You're trying to make a big deal out of nothing." Screw her issues--you had a natural distaste for her the second the two of you locked eyes!

Maybe you two had some unfinished business?

Kirigiri wasn't used to many people giving her the same venomous tongue in return. She felt threatened; her flimsy pride being on the line after you confronted her shrewd behavior. "Ugh, piss off! I've dealt with tons of girls like you, all you guys do is drool."

Your eyebrow twitched and your expression turned shallow- yet you forced a smile although your lips twitched erratically trying to keep it from collapsing. What you weren't going to tolerate was this completely avoidable stupidity. "Hey. I'm going to put this in the nicest way possible." You stepped up towards the young woman, making her muscles tense up once you closed in and tilted your head to the side--mimicking her sassiness when you pressed your hand against your hip.

"Since you know it all, you should know when to shut up, right?"

You deliberately talked down to her in the same perky, condescending voice she had to mirror her mockingly. The entire classroom sank into an abrupt, strong hold of silence-- and as for Shiro who was already well prepared to intervene.. on his face was a mix of surprise and wonder. But he was quick to cover his mouth, uncontrollably allowing the faintest bit of laughter to escape him. "Pff-"

Following his chuckle, everyone else also broke out into a fit of untamed laughter since your hilarious comeback knocked the loudmouth off of her high horse. Kirigiri, unsurprisingly, was even more pissed off--the mocking cooes from her peers weren't to any help either. She fidgeted angrily, turning off to the side upon ending up speechless. Letting out a stubborn grunt, her eyes darted around the room being unable to accept defeat like this.

"Whoa, [L/N]. You have a bad mouth..?" Commented Shiro, who appeared secretly pleased by your relatively vulgar tongue. Seiichiro was trying his best to hide his laughter, but as a result of sealing his lips shut his body trembled helplessly- right on the verge of exploding in a fit of chuckles.

You sighed and turned away from Kirigiri. While it was her fault for dragging you into this mess, she should at least realize that public humiliation only works when it goes as expected. "I said I'd put it in the nicest way possible." Your momentary vulnerability didn't go by unnoticed. Clenching her fists tightly, vengeance corrupted Kirigiri to the point of tunnel vision. Before she knew it she reached for a bottled water perched on a random student's desk and then sauntered right back towards you--and while you were pretty focused on replying to Shiro, it left room for an improper ambush occuring right before everyone's eyes.

"This is what losers like you deserve."

[Chapter END]