Chapter 6: Foreplay - Jalen Santoy

The Next Day

Demarcus woke up completely well rested. He couldn't stop the yawn that escaped his mouth as he sat up and stretched his arms over his head, the blanket Theo covered him with gently gathering around his waist. The memories of the night before came flooding back to Demarcus as he looked at the empty spot next to him. He glided his hand over the now cold empty space. He released a deep sigh, he couldn't believe he let a stranger one night stand him. Maybe Shade was right, he needed to get his shit together.

Demarcus stood up and stretched. He went over to his laptop on his desk to check some emails before starting his day when a sticky note caught his attention.

I hope you don't mind me spending the night.

Sorry I couldn't be there when you woke up.

Call me whenever, for anything (678) 999 - 8212

Theo N.

Maybe Theo wouldn't be a one-night stand. He went to save the phone number when he saw the time. It was 12:45 pm in the afternoon.

There were about 10 missed messages and a handful of phone calls from Damien. Demarcus was surprised he never noticed all the calls and messages, but the timestamps showed they were all sent while he was... preoccupied with Theo. The messages ranged from I'm sorry, Call me back, I messed up, I want to clarify some things; that last message in particular made Demarcus scoff, how does one clarify their shitty actions a year after the damage had been done? Especially when Demarcus gave him a chance to clarify days ago and Damien practically told him to kick rocks and get over it. He even went as far as to blame Demarcus for his own heartache.

Demarcus went and prepared for his afternoon. Classes would be starting in a couple of days and he needed some last-minute things. There was also a campus tour around 2pm that he wanted to attend. After showering Demarcus took some time to plan his outfit. He chose a black polo shirt with that signature Burberry print on its collar and layered it with a thin black pullover, black slacks that had a denim texture to it and a simple black belt. He tucked the shirt and sweater in his pants before adjusting it to look more effortlessly thrown on. He finished the look with Panda dunks and silver belt accessories. Demarcus even tried something new with his locs. He always kept it all up in a neat bun but today he decided to frame his face with two strands twisted together on either side of his face. It was a more feminine look but it suited him well.

Demarcus was about to leave his room when he quickly turned back to his messy bed. He needed to wash his sheets. Quickly bunching up all the sheets and blankets on his bed Demarcus made sure he had his phone and his small black Telfar bag which held his keys, wallet and extra hair ties before grabbing all his sheets to head to the laundry room on the first floor.

With the laundry now running, Demarcus was free to go. He was heading for the front door when the sound of someone heading down the stairs stopped him. He looked up towards the staircase expecting to see his new roommate and finally introduce himself before leaving when he was met with a pair of familiar hazel eyes.

Damien stood frozen halfway down the stairs looking like he'd seen a ghost. Damien stared at Demarcus who held the same shocked expression before glancing back at the slightly open second floor bedroom door. Damien squinted, noticing the bed in the room had no sheets on it. Which made no sense since he was positive his housemate had already moved in days before he did.

"Why the fuck are you in my house?!" Demarcus yelled from the bottom of the steps making Damien snap his head to the pretty dark-skinned man.

"Your house?" Damien said incredulously, "this is my house."

"The hell it's not, did you break in you psychopath? How did you even find me?" Demarcus questioned.

"I wasn't looking." Damien bite back, a little harsher than he was expecting seeing Demarcus's expression of anger falter for a moment.

Demarcus watched as Damien stared down at him. The look of intense concentration and confusion on Damien's face as he looked down at Demarcus, then to his bedroom door, the stripped bed inside, then back down again at Demarcus who looked very well rested, too well rested. Then it clicked, for both of them. They were housemates.

This meant that Damien heard Demarcus get fucked to kingdom come last night.

"Last night –" Damien started.

"That's none of your business." Demarcus cut him off immediately. His face and body were heating up as the realization that his housemate heard him with another man and said housemate was Damien fucking Soto of all people.

An angry expression crossed Damien's face before he quickly replaced it with a deadpan expression. Demarcus's alarm letting him know the tour would start in 30 minutes made him glance at his phone. While distracted with the device Damien made his way down the stairs. He stood in front of Demarcus who clearly felt his presence as he stood a couple steps from the shorter man.

"Last night, who were you with?" Damien asked.

"I already told you it's none of your business." Demarcus said. Damien took a step towards Demarcus watching the man tense up for a moment at their closeness.

Demarcus couldn't help the memories that flashed before his eyes as Damien stood before him.

His friendship with Damien. How everyone knew the class clown and gossip was best friends with genius junior. How one spring break caused a rift between them.

At first it wasn't a big deal. Both Demarcus and Damien chose to stay quiet about it and move forward like nothing happened but eventually Demarcus wanted to talk about it and the rift only got bigger when he tried and Damien shut it down.

Everything came to a head a few weeks before their senior year. Demarcus was finally able to get through to Damien, at least that's what he thought. He was expecting an actual conversation, they were still friends after all, not best friends but friends nonetheless.

Damien took advantage of Demarcus's feelings towards him one last time that summer.

With all the intelligence Demarcus had he sadly lacked emotional intelligence. The ability to make rational decisions were thrown out the window when it came to Damien. Damien knew what he did that summer was wrong, but like a coward he abandoned a broken Demarcus leaving Ivy to pick up the pieces senior year when Demarcus threw himself into his academics to cope with his depression.

Damien wiped a tear that had rolled down Demarcus's cheek. Demarcus was so wrapped up in his thoughts he hadn't realized Damien stood inches from him let alone that he was tearing up in front of the man.

"I'm so sorry, I truly am," Damien whispered to him, it took everything in Demarcus to not melt into Damien's hot touch, "I would take everything back if I could."

Demarcus felt the rage he had towards Damien settle down inside him for a moment. He wanted to accept his apology, but something in him told him not to, not yet at least.

Demarcus's heart and his mind were at war with each other. Deep down in his heart, Demarcus still had feelings for Damien, unresolved feelings. But in his mind every alarm was blaring at him to see reason and not allow his reason to be clouded again.

The two stood in the foyer. Damien still had his hand cupping Demarcus's cheek after he wiped his tear away. Hazel eyes staring into chocolate orbs. The atmosphere was tense between both men. Damien broke eye contact for a second glancing at Demarcus's plump lips before meeting his eyes again. Damien's eyes fluttered shut as he leaned down for a kiss, but he never got the chance to lay his lips on Demarcus's as the other man slapped his hand away from his face and took a step back.

Damien's eyes flung open with surprise as a look of hurt crossed Demarcus's face.

"I'm late for the campus tour." Demarcus said shakily, glancing at the time on his phone. He wasn't late, if anything he'd get there a couple minutes early. He just needed an excuse to be anywhere but where he was at.

Before Damien could say or do anything, Demarcus had opened the front door slamming it shut behind him. Leaving Damien standing alone in the townhouse.