Assurance

"Bhai, it will be quick, we will wind up swiftly, and even if you have any work after this, you will be able to do it. Just please try to convince maa and papa. Please bhai, I know I am disturbing you at this hour, and I am sorry about that, but please, I do want to meet Raj...I mean Rajeev."

Kartik did not have a smile on his face at her words, since he wasn't really of the type to smile, or display any expressions, but his amused eyes stared at his sister while she tried to convince him.

As Rajeev had said, Radhika requested Kartik to take her where he had called her. And without even letting Kartik speak a single word, not like he would have in fact spoken it, but without even letting him convey a gesture, she undertook it upon herself to convince him. Puppy eyes and pleading tone included.

"Radhika."

Finally he had had enough of her rambling and understanding his final tone, she stopped speaking.

"Only I will speak with them. You won't say a single word."

An excited smile bloomed on Radhika's face at her bhai's words. She nearly jumped up on her toes and went ahead to hug him, only to freeze in place. Once what had felt comfortable, now felt awkward. Her smile faltered for a bit, and Kartik felt a pang in his heart knowing that he himself was responsible for this distance.

She composed herself and with another excited grin she thanked him.

"Thank you, thank you so much bhai. I will do as you say."

He nodded in response.

His maa and papa were sat outside, Kishore Kumar's melodious notes playing, and Radhika was so thankful to Kishore da in that moment, because she knew this meant that her parents' moods were good. Her maa peeling some peas, and her papa reading a Hindi novel which had survived the harsh sands of time. This was poetic, and in normal words, he was reading an old Hindi novel.

Kishore da's songs do make you poetic.

"Papa, I need a perfume for during my business trip. Radhika has a good taste. I am taking her."

That was Kartik for you. Precise and up to the point. Not even a single word extra.

"At this hour? You go. She can't go.", her papa too was quick to answer.

And even though Radhika had definitely expected this response, a corner of her mind which had still dared to hope for a positive response felt disheartened. Cannot her papa at least for once be supportive? And not that she was going alone, her bhai was with her.

"I need her with me, and I am taking her. She's safe with me."

Her bhai reiterated with some different words which he knew would work, and this time his tone was a bit firm.

"Why are you so adamant Kartik?", his maa interjected.

Radhika was already tired of this confrontation, and was about to walk away to her room. As for Rajeev, she knew he would be upset, but also knew that he would understand. He always does.

"Maa, she's my sister. I have the right to take her with me.", Kartik argued for his sister, and while he did not even raise his voice even by an ounce, he knew his points were all valid.

Before Vijaya could say anything, Anupam had understood that Kartik won't budge, and he decided to go along with his son's decision.

"Take her, but not much time. You know I do not like Radhi staying out of the home for long, and that too at this time. Just because of your insistence, I am allowing this. Radhi, do not leave your brother's side even for a moment."