23 | Good Times

* * *

* * *

"And then this huge bitch just absolutely knocks me over!" Ace exclaimed, making both Gloxinia and Dalmaroz laugh at his tale. He did not disappoint with his dramatics.

"You're getting rusty in your old age," Dalmaroz said jokingly.

"Hey! I'm young and sprightly!"

"Whatever you say, old man." Tozgal closed his eyes and took a bite of his food.

"I'll make you eat those words." Ace crossed his arms and pouted as the boys continued to tease him.

"Speaking of bitches, whatever happened to that one girl? You know, the one with the snake fetish?" Dalmaroz wondered.

"Melascula? She was banished," said Derieri.

"No, no, the other one. Snakes for hair, crazy as hell, used to hang on O like a child. Come on, you have to know who I'm talking about. I'm drawing a blank on the name." Dalmaroz squeezed his eyes shut as the gears turned in his head, but ultimately he came up short.

"Ohhh, you mean Gloxinia's girlfriend," Estarossa said with a sly grin.

"Oh-ho! Girlfriend?" Tala leaned forward and rested her chin in her hand. "Do go on, Estarossa."

"She could be a real pain in the ass. Though she tried to act all tough about it, she was head-over-heels in love with this guy! Medusa sure was a wild one, eh?" Estarossa beamed.

Ace went quiet hearing the name of his former ally. He still felt like a complete ass for the things he did because of Medusa's influence and the way she had so easily gotten into his head. Back then, he'd thought everything was right if it meant he would have Obsidian back, but he quickly realized how good of a person Zeldris was and came to respect him far more than he had ever respected anyone else—including Medusa herself. Though he already promised to repay his debt to the prince, he felt that there was nothing that would ever fully be worthy of Zeldris sparing him.

"Aw, I didn't know you had a girlfriend, Gloxinia!" Tala loved love and everything romantic, so knowing another one of her friends was romantically involved was the best gossip there was.

"She isn't my girlfriend." Gloxinia was peeved.

"Get a load of this guy! So modest!" Estarossa was unintentionally pressing his buttons. "No way someone has a woman wrapped around his finger like that and isn't laying it down."

"Estarossa, stop it!" Gloxinia didn't want to hear anymore.

"Oh, Gloxinia." Obsidian was sympathetic to his situation.

"Besides, how could I ever be loyal to someone who had no loyalties?" Gloxinia shook his head and for a moment a brief eye contact was made between him and Iris.