18 | Ghosts

* * *

* * *

"I deserved that." Azrael rubbed his stinging red cheek as he looked down at the woman who'd he'd been chasing after since he'd emerged from the Coffin of Eternal Darkness. "Hey, you're smaller." He smiled and touched the top of her head in an endearing fashion.

Obsidian wound her arm back, this time making a fist, but Azrael grabbed her hand before she had a chance to hit him again. He lowered her arm and touched her face gently in an attempt to kiss her again, but Obsidian escaped his grasp.

"It wasn't an insult! You look great! I always told you that your real height was so much better. You're still the scariest woman I know." As Azrael admired her, he couldn't shake the urges manifesting within him. "Damn, you really look good...you brought the dress back. You know it's always been my favorite look of yours. Classy yet fierce and wild." He bit his lip to keep his cool. Seeing her in the flesh was much different from any memory he would often have floating in his mind.

Obsidian punched him in the chest then, tired of hearing him talk. "'Hey, babe'? Are you kidding me?" She continued to push against his hand as tears continued to fall.

"I'm...sorry." He'd expected the moment to be more lighthearted and happy, but the opposite had happened.

This earned him another stinging slap. With a bright red cheek, he tried to keep his cool in her presence. He'd expected as much, though seemed to forget that Obsidian was a heavy hitter and her strikes were not to be taken lightly. She was angry and had every right to be. For a few moments, Azrael relented in blocking her attacks and let her continue to hit him, releasing all of her anger and frustrations. He had no right to be angry knowing what he'd put her through. He'd honestly been relieved that the worst she'd done was slap him.

Azrael grabbed her arm again when she tried to go in for another hit and stared at her intensely. For the first time in his life, he didn't know what to say. There was no excuse or lie he could feed her. Obsidian wasn't stupid, nor was she like many others who were easily swayed by his well-crafted words. Facing her had been his biggest fear, and yet, the minute he laid eyes upon her, he felt such relief.

He'd believed himself to be a goner back then, and had done what he could to protect her without ever once thinking of the consequences of his actions. His only concern had been keeping Obsidian alive. Seeing her now
made his heart swell.

Despite her agitation, she seemed softer somehow. Her features had matured and she carried herself with a different kind of grace he didn't remember her having before. She was so radiant that it made him nervous to be in her presence. His heart was all aflutter, remembering all the previous times he gazed into those same eyes. Whether the color of the darkness or vibrant violet, he loved getting lost in them. It made him feel at ease knowing he got to be with her again.