7 | A New Kingdom

* * *

* * *

"The human world is a strange place." Azrael found himself among the people of Liones as they milled about. He felt suffocated with the sheer amount of humans he was surrounded by.

He'd been alone for so long that it was strange to find himself with company. Even his own voice was so foreign to him as he'd rarely spoken. When he had emerged from the seal, he was left to wander in search of not only his strength, but everything he'd lost. He'd turned up empty in his search time and again and he'd begun to wonder if everything he had known once upon a time was gone forever.

"You're the one who forced us to bring you here," replied Guila rather snarkily. She was still against bringing a demon into the kingdom yet, somehow, here they were.

"Now, Guila, it isn't wise to be so rude." Slader tried to ease the tension between them.

"It would be in your best interest to listen to him." Azrael looked around as he walked slowly, taking in the mundane kingdom. Despite a war, the humans were still so lively as if they were in a state of blissful ignorance.

"Why did you have us bring you to Liones?" Guila was adamant to know why Azrael had such an interest in their home.

"The ins and outs of my thought processes don't concern you." He beckoned them to keep following, a purpose in his gait. "Don't dawdle."

"Guila, please just do what he asks." Slader knew it was hard to take orders from a demon, but it was for the greater good and they would be wise to follow his direction. For somereason, she found it a good idea to challenge him, as if she didn't remember what kind of being they were dealing with.

"Azrael, was it?" Guila asked. His reply was short, but confirming. "Just who exactly are you? I've never once heard any mention of you before."

"Is that so?" He stared up at the gigantic castle that seemed so far out of reach. One day, he thought, I'll have a kingdom of my own to rule.

"Well, it's just that we've been fighting the Commandments for a while now, and though most of the lesser demons we've run across we didn't know by name, they still posed somewhat of a threat. But you're so powerful. As powerful as the Commandments. I would think you were someone of more importance. Why are you just now showing your face? And why was there never any mention of you before?"

The slightest movement of Azrael's head indicated that Guila was saying too much. Sensing his mood shift, she quickly apologized, not sure if he was annoyed or angry. Either way, she didn't need her probing questions to come back to bite her, so she shut her mouth and waited for him to keep moving.

"Have I really been so forgotten in this world?" Azrael wondered aloud as a light breeze dusted around him, rustling through his short orange hair. He searched the bright blue sky for answers. "Has everyone really gone on without me like I'm nothing but a distant memory?" He sounded troubled and breathed a long, burdened sigh. "I never meant to leave you like this. I could've never predicted that things would go this far. Phoenix... Helia... Iris... My O... forgive me for failing you."