14 | A Little Problem

* * *

* * *

"Follow me, Iris, and I will show you true freedom."

"I don't know if I'm strong enough."

"Then let me help you see that you are."

Iris could vividly remember the words once spoken to her. It was she who had come to the great Azrael for guidance in her endeavors to find happiness and enlightenment when her world seemed gloomy and grey. Instead of being offered advice, Azrael had insisted upon her joining him in his journey to forge his own path in the way he so desired. He led with such dignity and nobility, and Iris had followed him loyally without question or even hesitation. Her life had changed for the better once she'd left her old life behind and it was all thanks to Azrael.

They had been through so much together, and Iris was one of his most trusted friends. The day Azrael had died had brought a cloud of darkness to her life, and to now know that he was safe was a blessing from the gods. She would do anything to protect him even if it meant betraying the prince of demons. Iris owed her life to Azrael, and it was time she repaid her debt.

Iris could hear her hearts pumping through her ears as she raced to stop Zeldris from getting in Azrael's way. She didn't know what came over her. The realization that her old friend was alive had produced a change within her spirit. She had sworn her life to follow under Azrael's guidance and leadership so any promise made to the prince was now null and void.

With great determination, she pursued Zeldris and rapidly caught up. She called to him which resulted in an exasperated series of expletives. Iris persisted and refused to leave unless he came with her to which Zeldris blatantly refused. This little tantrum of hers was growing irksome.

"Fall back!" He shouted at her over the high wind speeds.

"Zeldris, please listen to me!" She pleaded, now flying directly beside him.

"That's an order!"

"I won't do it!"

Zeldris went higher and Iris followed suit, keeping up with all his movements as he tried to shake her. Her determination was more aggravating than commendable and the prince was very close to forcing her out of his way when she flew in front of him with her arms outstretched.

"Don't come any closer," she said. 

"I think you're confused. You're acting like a dumb bitch."

"Zeldris, please."

"Iris, if you do not get out of my way, I am going to hurt you," Zeldris threatened as he hovered in the air. He had just about enough and was ready to make good on his previous statement to her.

"Zeldris, please! You can't go after Azrael!"

"And why can't I? You put so much faith into someone who cares so little for you." Zeldris glared at her.