4 | Now or Never

* * *

* * *

"Are you alright?" Ban noticed the quiet signs of the girl sitting at the bar counter. He closed the door to the tavern as he walked inside.

Princess Elizabeth nodded, wiping away stray tears so as to not worry him, though it wasn't that easy to deceive Ban. The fox sin took a seat beside her, softly drumming his fingers on the table. Her sadness was evident and she turned away from him so he wouldn't see her crying.

Lately, things had been really hard for her. And even then, she knew that the Sins were going through things, too, so she didn't want to come off as selfish.

"I know, it's a lot to process," Ban said. When Elizabeth tilted her head, he continued. "The disappearance, seeing him again, leaving with Obsidian... I know it all makes you feel a certain way and I can't say I blame you."

"I just thought Meliodas and I..." She continued to sniffle as more tears burned her eyes and she fought to keep them back. Elizabeth couldn't take it anymore and broke down into sobs.

It had been so unfair of Meliodas to choose Obsidian over her. After all Elizabeth had been through with him, he'd gone off and chosen another woman—one who had put her own life in danger. Meliodas hadn't even given her a second thought, and if not for Zeldris casting her away, she would have remained a prisoner of the demons.

It was disheartening to think that Elizabeth didn't mean as much to Meliodas as he did to her. She foolishly believed they had something special, but it was all a fantasy.

"No one could have predicted his behavior, not even me." Ban scratched his head. "He isn't himself and we all see that. Whatever happened to Meliodas, it changed him. And not for the better."

"I want the old Meliodas back," Elizabeth's voice was barely a whisper.

"There has to be a way to get through to him somehow."

Elizabeth continued to cry and Ban wound his arms around her protectively. While his best friend was gone, he had to step up to keep her safe. Meliodas would do the same for him had it been the other way around.

"We're going to get him back. I promise." Ban rubbed Elizabeth's back to soothe her heaving sobs. "And Gilthunder, too. I bet Margaret's pretty torn up about everything."

"I know they're going through their issues, but she does love him."

"Gloxinia fought hard to keep Gilthunder with them. My guess is he is being protected by Obsidian. However, with Obsidian not presently with the Commandments, he may be short on time with Zeldris."

"Meliodas's brother?"

"That little shit may be preoccupied with finding his girlfriend for now, but then what? We can't risk him being with them any longer than he already has been. Hell, he may already be..."