15 | There Can Only Be One

* * *

* * *

Azrael had heard Tozgal loud and clear when he came to him like a phantom in his dreams in a poor attempt to bully him into helping the Commandments. The poor guy was so desperate that it amused him to the point he genuinely laughed. Despite his attempts to convince him, Tozgal's pleas had fallen on deaf ears as Azrael had already made his decision and was going into the belly of the beast alone. Genuinely, he felt for Tozgal, and he respected him immensely, but he was working with Zeldris and Azrael refused to have anything to do with the prince.

He chuckled to himself, knowing the message would be relayed to Zeldris and it would be poorly received. With a temperament like the prince's, anything that went wrong was enough to set him off in an explosive anger.

Zeldris had a strong desire to be in control, but that wasn't how things worked anymore. Thanks to the war, the demon clan was falling apart, and Zeldris was losing the support of his people. It was the perfect chance for a new leader of the demons and Azrael was simply awaiting his moment to swoop in and claim the title for himself. The divine right to rule was something one was born with, however big demon princes had failed in that regard, so Azrael would be the future king of the demons. It would be just him and his Obsidian with an entire domain to rule over and followers to worship them. No one would ever challenge their authority again.

The dark and secluded cave shielded Azrael from the outside world and he'd miss his comfort in the peace and quiet. He relished in his final moments of solitude though simultaneously was ready to go out and cause more chaos.

"I will become a god," Azrael said to himself. "That's who she needs and so that is what I shall become." Azrael closed his eyes as he rose to his feet and mentally prepared himself. He'd spent some time hiding out to build up his strength but now his beloved was out there waiting for him and he would no longer stay hidden.

They were kept from each other for too long and Azrael had become rowdy. He needed her touch, her soft, supple hands ghosting over his aching body while the light in her eyes brightened as she stared into his. He missed the comfort of her familiarity. No one had ever been as close to Azrael as she was.

His fingers cradled the black necklace around his neck. Strung on it was a silver ring that he never had the chance to gift his girlfriend at the time due to the circumstances. He wouldn't mess up this time and would bestow her the symbol of his love and slaughter any who dared to try to come between him and his family.

Magic crackled in the sky causing Azrael to look out from the mouth of the cave inquisitively. In his mind, he knew who such a powerful source belonged to. The little prince must've been closer than he'd expected and by the display of power, he wasn't too happy. Azrael stretched out his stiff muscles, cracking his bones and letting out a long sigh as he overlooked the deep sea below. In a short time, everything was going to change. In front of Elizabeth, he had to contain his excitement as it threatened to overflow. He was as ready as he'd ever be to see Obsidian.