Chapter Nineteen

Jade's pov:
Don is out cold on the bed which I somehow managed to get him to. I have never seen him like this and this make me feel somehow. He looks so vulnerable and I just want to lie down and fall asleep in his arms. I make sure to take off his shoes and put the drink and glass away. I lie on the bed beside him and cuddle him close to me.

I try to fall asleep but I can't. So I just think about my plan to go away. The thing is, I don't have a plan. The feeling of leaving Marcel is daunting and scary. How will I function outside these walls, away from him alone? I've come to love him more than anyone. Love! I love him. But he obviously doesn't feel the same way about me. He'll give me away soon and the thought makes tears run down my eyes fast and hard. Before I know it, I'm crying.

The sheets move and Marcello's arms are around me.

"Don't cry Ari. I'll protect you. I'm sorry I wasn't there that day. I love you with all of me." I'm shell shocked that I hold my breath for a few seconds. He murmurs incoherent things with his voice slurring. Ari? Protect? Love?

I remove his arms that are around me and stand up from the bed. Here I was beating myself up about leaving him even though he wanted to give me up and he was thinking about someone else. I rush out of the room and go to mine. Only I don't stay there. I take a small bag and pack the few things I had with me before I was moved into the don's room and turned into a sex toy. The tears are coming down hard and my vision is blurry.

I finish packing and go to the servants quarters. No one is around which I'm thankful for. I change out of my dress into my maid uniform.

I'll keep on working as a maid until when I have to leave with Donald. I refuse to let the don use me further than he has to.

**********
I continued my duties in the mansion like I never took a break. I was only surprised that the work load increased and I feel more tired than I ever was when I was leaving with my family.

I was hurt that the don didn't even care that I was back to my maid duties. He only called for me a day after I left to ask me why. And it's been a week now.

Donald was supposed to come for me but he didn't and I wonder if he isn't interested in getting me out of here anymore. I made up my mind that I was going to give the flash drive that contained things that could send the don and his family down to Donald.

The don said I could leave soon that our contract which states that I'll be free still stands and I don't have to do anything with him. And he was going to give me everything he promised. Guess he was trying to compensate me for giving me out. It still hurts me every time I see him and my heart twists in a painful knot.

I told Susan about what happened in the Don's room but I didn't tell her what Donald told me. She felt bad for me and tried to comfort me but I told her it was fine. It was fine at all. My whole life, I've been in pain and sadness and I had few moments of happiness. But with the don, I was always happy because I knew that I was going to be in his arms every night and I felt safe there. Now, I don't even know what will happen if I am given away to my real father or go with Donald. On one hand, I want to know who my father is, but I don't want to be back in this mafia world that might even be worst than been here. On the other hand, I want to go with Donald and see the world and be far from all these.

Not that I love Donald or anything like that but I feel good when I'm with him and he always treated me like a person.

I'm cleaning the drawing room when I feel someone staring at me. It's Carmella standing by the door. I continue my work and she walks up to me.