Diseased

I helplessly watched as Mileena lay in bed, suffering from the Tarkat disease. Pain and sadness clouded Mileena's once bright eyes, and it broke my heart to see her in such a state.

Mileena had always been spirited and lively, but the disease had taken a toll on her. She felt isolated and unloved as if the illness had tainted her worth in some way. No matter how much I reassured her, Mileena couldn't shake off the feeling of being a burden to her loved ones.

I approached Mileena's somber form and sat beside her on the bed. I stroked her hair that was hanging off the side of the bed. As we made eye contact, tears flooded hers. She closed her eyes so I couldn't see her cry, but tears overflowed and seeped out the corners of her eyes.

"Mileena—" I tried to speak, but she interrupted me.

"Why are you here, (Y/N)," Mileena's voice croaked, "I don't want to get you sick. Please leave. Like everyone else did."

"I'm not going anywhere, Mileena," I told her sternly and moved closer to her.

She moved farther away as a result, then turned to me, "Tanya left me. What makes you want to stay?"

"The power of friendship," I responded sarcastically and rolled my eyes.

I managed to get her to crack a smirk, which made me laugh. I opened my arms for a hug, and she crawled over to me. She rested her body between my legs and wrapped her arms around my waist. I rubbed her back as she cried. I didn't know what to say, so I stayed quiet.

"I knew she'd leave," Mileena wept, "Who would ever love me now that I'm a freak?!"

After a moment, I debated whether I should tell her or not. I couldn't take her sobs any longer, so I just blurted it out.

"I do," I said.

Her sobbing stopped as her breath hitched. She slowly sat up and stared at me with a spark of hope. She moved back so she was sitting on her legs but still at a distance from me. Slowly and carefully, she placed both her hands on the side of my face. Her eyes traced my facial features like she's never seen it before.

"Since when?" She Mileena asked me, "Why?"

"Since you accompanied me on that mission with Kuai Liang," I informed her, "Ever since you saved my life, I couldn't stop thinking about you. We didn't know each other well during the mission— you could've left me for dead! But you didn't. I appreciate you, and I want to be with you. I was hurt when you were with Tanya, but I stayed quiet because I wanted you to be happy. I love you, Mileena. Your family loves you— you're not alone. I'm sorry that Tanya ran. But I won't. I want you to be mine just as much as I want to be yours. Please, give me a chance."

When I finished talking, tears flooded Mileena's eyes. After a moment, she looked down and started chuckling. When her eyes met mine again, she giggled and said, "I'd kiss you if I could. Will you stay with me?"

I smiled at her words and layer beside her, "Of course."

WORDS: 550