Chapter seventeen

Liliana was sat downstairs at the dining table with a glass of wine. The twins birthday was only a few hours away. 'How did time go so fast?' She wondered, staring at a painting of her with both the twins when they were about one years old. Ezra's face in the photograph was as cold as ice, he hardly smiled as a baby - Liliana thought there was something wrong with him at first. But then she wondered how Thomas was as a baby (a peculiar thought), and that's when she realised that Ezra may be more like his father then she expected.

Adeylia's chubby face beamed in the photograph, she was a very smiley baby and Lily always got compliments on what a lovely calm baby she has and everytime she left the house people commented on the similarities of Lily and Adeylia. She wondered if people would think the same if they saw Ezra and Lily.

Lily's twinkling smile looked almost real. She was struggling around that time, a single mother with twins was a very difficult job; but she was glad she had her maids. Lily hated thinking about that time of year, it was rough. She cried almost every minute of every day, anything would set her off; even if it was just one of the twins crying because they were tired.

She wished everything would've just worked out with her and Thomas sometimes. It felt sad now, the way they just made small talk. Did she miss him? That was a tricky question, he was a complicated man. Tommy always ruined everything for her, she knew her relationship with Edward was now broken and how would people react when they found out her children's father was The Thomas Shelby. She had always wondered, how did Thomas  get so far in life? Would he ever settle?

Thomas on the other hand was looking forward to seeing the twins, there was a resemblance in Ezra that worried him. He would need somebody to take over the business someday and Charlie wanted to do that so keenly but was Charlie fit for it? He had always said he was but he was too keen on something he shouldn't be keen of. He needed somebody to look after the bad side of the business and the good side. He wanted the twins to meet the family. He had a dinner party approaching soon and wondered if to invite Lily and the children but he also knew how stern Lily had become since being a mother - but he knew it was the same old Lily and he knew how to convince the girl and make her fall on her knees for him. He missed Lily, he always had. She bought peace. Lizzie was back around, she had been for a while and if Lizzie found out Lily was back what would happen? He sat at his desk, carefully writing a letter to his daughter. Did she miss Lily?

"Ed, come on wake up it's their birthday!" Lily tried shaking her fiancé awake, but she could tell he had drank a lot and it worried her Ed never drank as much to get him wasted. He was sleeping in a guest room, he didn't want to sleep next to her.

"You're a beautiful woman." He murmured as he played with her hair. She furrowed her eyebrows, she didn't have time for this she needed to go wake the twins before they woke up themselves.

"Your brown hair always amazes me, so soft." Lily drew back from her husband crossing her arms. She didn't have brown hair? Her hair was platinum blonde. Was he seeing another woman? Her thoughts instantly swarmed before he whispered a name. She didn't quite catch it, so she leaned closer and that's when he whispered it again.

"Nobody can know, Annabelle"

Her heart had dropped to her stomach. And she closed her eyes to try stop them from watering. She quickly grabbed a glass that was next to his bed and ran to the bathroom to fill it with water before throwing the freezing water on his bed. It was mid October, nearly November so it was coming up to winter which made the water extra cold.

"Lily! What the fuck?" He gasped, looking down at himself but Lily just shrugged and smiled.

"It's the twins birthday, was trying to wake you but you weren't retaliating." She smiled innocently and saw the look of guilt on his face. She wasn't going to argue about this 'Annabelle' now, not on the twins birthday.