Chapter Nine

A/N, i watched Oppenheimer yesterday and what the fuckkkkk, Cillian is an amazing actor and 100% deserves an award. And also, sorry to disappoint you all but there is no fifteen minute sex scene? About two minutes max altogether of Florence nude.
In this book there is a woman named May, as most of you know as May Carleton. Don't get mixed up with the maid 'May' and May Carleton.

Lily's point of view

Me and Ruby had descended the staircase, me with my hair in a bun at the top of my head with Bobby pins keeping it all in place and Ruby's with her straightened out to her shoulders.

I was being introduced to multiple people left right and centre, giving my best smile and shaking their hands but in reality I was bored out of my mind.

Ruby had her arm looped into mine and dragged me over to her father where a small lady was stood - her arm in Toms.

She was beautiful, whoever she was. Her dark brown curled hair in a low bun and wearing a lilac long silk dress. My heart ached for the dress, wanting to wear it instead of her but I knew I was being ridiculous.

"Lily this is May Carleton our horse trainer. How are you doing May?" Ruby asked in a fake voice, I could read her like a book. She despised 'May Carleton'.

Whilst May and Ruby spoke in posh voices, (Ruby pretending to be interested in the conversation) Tom cleared his throat and glared me up and down which caused me to look away.

"Excuse me to interrupt you girls, but me and May need to have a conversation upstairs."

My heart dropped in my chest and I stared and looked to Ruby to see her grimacing at the two. Without even realising, I laughed. It wasn't even a small giggle. I looked at Ruby and put my hand on her shoulder looking away as she started laughing as well.

A good way to brighten the mood

Ruby dragged me over to a tall pale women with curly locks and pink cheeks and Ruby gasped and gave her a side hug.

"Katie! Lily this is my cousin Katie!" Katie grinned and gave me a quick wave before Charlie came over himself with a boy about our age.

"Come, let's go outside." Charles took my hand as we all made our way outside and sat at the end of the front drive on a stone wall.

"Billy Shelby, nice to meet you." Billy smirked at me. I'd be honest, he was gorgeous. Similar features to Arthur, the same hair but with a lighter brown hair and bright blue eyes. He had a small patch of hair on his chin - a sign of a growing beard and a small moustache.

"Lily," I smiled, shaking his rough hand.

Charles pulled out a large bottle of whiskey and took a gulp as Ruby glared at him.

"Do not tell me you stole that out of Dads office Charles he'll cut you!" She snapped and crossed her arms, stealing Billy's cigarette.

"Calm down Ruby for gods sake he won't notice he's got plenty enough." He sighed, passing me the bottle.

I took a few gulps to get me started and lit up a cigarette with a match. Happily holding it in my mouth and taking a puff.

"So what brings you here then? To Arrow House?" Billy asked, sitting next to me as the others argued over the whiskey.

"Ran away," I rolled my eyes and giggled as Billy took a few swigs and passed it to me again.