Chapter- 01

In khan's house

Hajiya Banu sits in the lawn, savouring her morning tea, as the soft, golden sunlight gently kisses the earth. Although she has called San Francisco home since her marriage, Pakistani habits still cling to her after fifty years. While sipping her tea, memories of her life flood her mind. Her husband, who passed away a decade ago, used to share these serene mornings with her. She has two sons, Wasim Khan and Owais Khan, both married with children. Wasim, her elder son, has a single daughter, Safiya Khan (20 years old), a precious soul whose mother, Zobaida, sadly passed away during childbirth.

Safiya's upbringing was lovingly overseen by Hajiya Banu after her daughter-in-law's untimely demise, creating an unbreakable bond between them. Conversely, Faizan(18 years old) and Fariya(15 years old),Hajiya's younger son's children, are lavishly pampered by their mother, Firoze. Safiya has always stood by, observing her cousins' privileged treatment, her thoughts wandering into the complexities of her family dynamics. Hajiya Banu, understanding that no love could ever replace that of a mother, vows to protect her cherished granddaughter from the harshness of the world.

Suddenly, Safiya's sweet voice pulls Hajiya back to the present. "My dear dadi (grandma), why are you lost? What are you thinking about? Are you feeling well?" Safiya's concern warms Hajiya's heart as she responds, "I am fine, love. I was thinking about you. I was thinking about who will love you after me?" Safiya gently places her coffee mug on the table, meeting her grandmother's eyes as she reassures her, "No one will love me like you, dadi. Aap meri Jaan ho (you are my life)." Their exchange elicits laughter from Hajiya and a peaceful smile from Safiya, who then shares her plans for the day. As Safiya prepares to leave for her morning classes, she hugs her dadi before quickly gathering her belongings. She's now in the second year of university, passionately studying economics, driven to carve out her destined path.

Safiya waited for her father in front of his car, and her father arrived after 15 minutes, saying, "Oh, my princess, sorry for making you wait. I was talking to my childhood friend." Safiya responded, "No problem, Abbu. Let's go." During their drive, Safiya asked her father about his friend he was talking about because, as far as she knew, her father never talked about any of his friends. Wasim replied, "Oh, princess, this friend of mine is really close. From playmates to university, we were together, but after university, his family shifted to London, and gradually, we lost contact. But Safiya, do you know? Yesterday, I met this friend of mine, Osman Sheikh, after 25 years. You will not believe he is still the same. I heard that they are planning to shift back to San Francisco. He and his wife have already moved back. But their son will come later. I have invited them for dinner on Sunday. I am sure you will be so happy to meet them." All this time, Safiya was listening and observing her father. She had never seen him so happy and excited. She was wondering how her father's friend and family would be, as they were able to make him this much excited. She was looking forward to meeting them at Sunday dinner.

Assalamu Alaikum, everyone. Hope all of you are fine by the grace of Allah. This is my first ever writing. Everyone, please support and encourage me to keep writing.
Thanks in advance for your love.