15

I guess Tormad would not train with me today, since he never came back, and I didn't follow.

Normally, I would have gone back inside, but I didn't feel like being cooped up today. So I made the trek to the waterfalls. The one Tormad bought me to and told me about my mother. I figured this could be my new solace. A special place that connects me to her. There are no crashing waves or fishery boats, but a nice trickle of water from the stream below. A slight breeze that has me wrapping my arms around my torso.

I take a seat on a rock nearby. And picked a wildflower. The smell is unique compared to the ones back home. This might be my new favorite scent. The petals are less fragile, too. It's almost as though this land breeds vitality and strength. Everything just looks and feels lively. Sacred, even.

The snapping of a nearby twig breaks my tranquil moment. At least I was smart enough to bring my new gift. My fingers grip the hilt. Even though I may lack combat training, it doesn't mean I won't put up a fight. I guess that was Igor's intention. A few months ago, I cower at the hands of these men.

"It's just me!"

I slacken my grip on the dagger. It doesn't seem fitting to kill the person who gifted me such a beautiful item.

He takes a seat on the soft grass beside me. Oblivious to his near demise. Even with my advantage from being perched on this rock, Tormad still towers over me. He picks a flower and twirls it with his fingers. I watch in amazement at how his large, and rough fingers hold the slim stem with such delicate care as he looks at it.

"Sometimes the dreams have already come to pass," he murmurs, before tossing the flower into the stream. "This can happen," he confirms. "Sometimes they can have a different outcome, too."

Tormad turns and faces me. A tingle spreads down my spine and settles deep in my core. I have to turn my gaze from his. His callus hand grips my face and forces me to look at him. My eyes travel down to his plump lips and bite my bottom lip when I see his slightly parted.

"I started noticing when I voice my dreams out loud, they alter," he declares.

I think back to all the times Tormad tried to tell me things about his visions, but stopped.

"Is this why you only tell me pieces?"

He scratches his chin and looks ahead. I take the time to study him. The beam of light produced through the overhanging trees illuminates his face. I ball my hands to keep me from reaching out to stroke his cheek and run my fingers through his braided hair. Thoughts run through my head; did he braid it himself, or did one of the many females do so for him? The thought of another woman's fingers touching his hair stirs an unwarranted feeling of jealousy through me.

"I didn't want my visions to warp your feelings." He shuffles around and takes my hand in his. I glance down at our joined hands, feeling the heat flush my cheeks. "I want you to choose the path on your own."

"Then you should let me go!"

He groans and drops his hold on my hands. "I know," he agrees and stands. "But I can't."

I jump off the rock. Noting just how small I am against Tormad. My eyes land on his broad chest, staring at an old scar that peaks through his torn tunic. "The best I can do is keep my distance."

He tilts his head down at the dagger that I had loosely hooked in the waistband of my pants. "Igor will show you how to wield that."

I suddenly didn't wish for Igor to teach me skills. The thought of Tormad's hands guiding me into correct stances flooded my mind. I shake my head at the impurities. I can't be wanting to leave, and have him near me. It is ludicrous.

"Where will you be?" The words spill out of my mouth, the moment Tormad turned his back on me. He was leaving me!

I tilt my head, waiting for his reply. He spun around, and the corner of his lips twitched with amusement. "Will you miss me?"

"No." I shake my head. I feel the burn creep up. I cleared my throat, "I just needed to know the places to avoid."

My words and body didn't match. Tormad could sense this and raised a brow as he moved in closer. The heat of his body radiates off him and warms me from the outside in. A flutter forms in the pit of my stomach. The many times Tormad towers over me, we end up kissing. It's wrong to kiss him, but yet, I can't help myself. I think he knows this too. He reaches out and brushes his thumb across my cheek, the roughness of his scarred fingers, scratches against my skin. I bite my lip when an unwanted feeling pools below. Telling myself that it wasn't Tormad who made me feel this way, but the touch of a man in general.

I would have dreams about a boy back in my village. How his hands would feel as they skimmed across my breasts? The ache in my lower region grew with every inappropriate thought. I am devoted to God, which means my body is only to be touched by my husband. I witnessed a girl from my village be shunned when she lost her virtue and ended up with a child. Who she claimed as the father denied such allegations. She died not long after from the cold.

His hand grips the back of my head, holding me in place. "Are you sure about that?"

My chest rises rapidly. Excitement builds as I feel the fluttering. "Positive!"

When Tormad leans in, I hold my breath. Waiting for his lips to make contact. A twig breaks, causing Tormad to move away and me to spin around. Thankful for the intrusion. The smirking Igor stands there, glancing at Tormad and me.

"Did I intrude?" He asks, with a knowing smug look. "Forgive me."

His eyes then shifted from playful to serious as he glanced at Tormad. "Word has reached him, and he has given his reply!" Tormad nods. His hand brushes against my arm. A warm fuzzy feeling travels throughout my body, but I shun the feelings.

"Igor will escort you back to the cabin."

"Does Igor have a say in this?" Igor pipes up. "Maybe I have somewhere I wish to be."

"The softness of a woman's cunt can wait," Tormad tells him. "Walk Kari back to the cabin and make sure there are men posted nearby before meeting me in the hall."

I ignore Tormad's vulgar comment. Usually, it was Igor who made the crass statements about humping whoever was in need. Besides those things didn't bother me as much as Tormad locking me away.

"Why do I have to go back to the cabin?"

"Because I don't wish to share the news of your existence."

I couldn't help but feel the rejection. Even if he never intended it that way. Tormad always speaks in partial. "You won't let me go. You want me to come to my fate on my own, yet..." I take a deep breath before glaring at the man.

"You won't let me in enough to make these decisions. That isn't fair." Nor is it right.

Tormad cups my face with his large hands. "Just trust me!" He implores. His blue eyes stare right into mine.

Can I? This man who ransacked my village in the still of the night. Took my father, me, and many others as slaves. Some with better perks than others, but neither of us is able to live freely like we once did. He hasn't caused me any harm, and lately, I have come to enjoy his company. Though, I will never admit that. Not to him, anyway.

"Come on," Igor says and wraps his large fingers around my arm. I give one last glance at Tormad before Igor drags me away. The whole time, I thought about why I had to stay hidden. Who was here?