7

Tormad wasn't here when I arrived at the cabin, and he wasn't back when the sun came up. I hardly got much sleep. Every sound outside had me on edge. I sat by the hearth, which was just a pile of embers. No more wood to burn. The door creaks and I jerk my body to face the person who enters.

I watch as he walks over to where I sit, and lowers the pile of wood in his arms to the floor. "You're up!" Tormad says, sounding surprised. He pokes the embers and places a dry piece of wood on top. It took a while for the embers to latch on, but Tormad blew the orange glow to help it along.

"I will be training for most of the day," Tormad tells me as he stands. "But if you need me for anything." I gave him a look which he must have figured out that I won't be needing him. Tormad sighs, and softly scratches at his beard. It is pointless to continue speaking. I wasn't planning on speaking to anyone or venturing outside the cabin. I turned from him and faced the flickering flames. Hearing his heavy footsteps making their way to the door, the creak as the door opens and closes. Only then do I let out a bated breath.

I sat there until the sun descended. My stomach aches from no food. But I couldn't bring myself to leave. The door creaks. I perk my ears to hear the heavy steps of Tormad, but pinch my brows together when all I hear is pitter steps. I turn to see Helga standing in the room. She holds a bowl; instantly my stomach reaches out for whatever is inside. She lowers the bowl down to me. For a moment, I blink at it with caution. The last time Helga handed me something, I was poisoned.

She took the wooden spoon and raised it to her lips. Taking a small bite, before nudging the bowl close to me. When I didn't see her drop to the floor, I took the food from her. She nodded her head and turned to leave.

A small thank you leaves my lips just as she opens the door.

I placed the bowl down on the small table. My stomach calmed from the tasteful stew. The familiar taste of the meal brings back memories of my mother. She was a good cook; could make anything edible.

My eyes grew heavy, and I decided to retire for the night.

I woke in the still of the night; a weight draped over my torso. It didn't take long to realise it was the heavy arm belonging to Tormad. When I shift away he tugs me closer. I grunt from the light squeeze. Tormad nuzzles his face against the crook of my neck, causing me to freeze. Tormad must have felt my rigid body as he pulled away. I take the opportunity to leap off the bed.

"I want to take you somewhere," Tormad says, running his hands down his face, trying to wake himself up fully.

"I don't wish to follow."

Tormad chuckles, and stands. "It's cute how you think you have a choice." He ignores my glares, as he places his tunic over his head. My eyes glance down to the prominent v where his trousers loosely hang. He sits down on the bed, and slips his boots on.

"It's not healthy to stay inside all day," he says, still seated on the bed, his hands lightly placed on his leg. His mouth forms a straight line and his eyes wander over me. "I'll give you a few moments to get dressed." Tormad, now fully dressed, stands and saunters over to me. "We have a considerable journey on us, so will need to leave soon."

Tormad and I walked for what felt like hours. In the dense bush. Only this time, I'm fitted with a pair of hide boots to protect my feet. Tormad stays by my side, and we both rarely spoke. The only sound leaving my lips were sighs. And unpleasant ones at that.

"We are almost there!" Tormad speaks. He reached out and placed a firm hand against my lower back, nudging me forward.

The wind blows, bringing with it a fresh heavenly scent.

"I came from a place far from here. The view was heaven," my mother tells me. She tucks a yellow wild flower in my hair.

"When you're older, I will tell you more of where I came from Kari." She kisses the top of my head, and places her hand around her protruding belly as she stands from the boulder. "We have work to do."

The sound of rushing water was what caught my attention, right after screaming, and just before Tormad grips my arm before I fell over the edge. "Sorry about that," he murmurs. "I forget how tiny you are."

He was not wrong. Compared to the women I have seen at the camp. I am the size of a small child.

I turned to where the gushing water sound came from; my eyes widened at the view. I loved the view I had back home. Standing up on the hill top, overlooking the fjord, but here, smothered amongst the trees, a little ray of light shining through the tops and landing on a calm spot below the cliff. The gushing sound was water overflowing and crashing against the rocks below before coming to a sedated state, right under the warmth of the sun's beam.

"I thought you might enjoy this view." I turn to Tormad, and see that he has taken a seat on the grassy banks, just near the edge. "Your father told me how you love to watch from up on a hilltop near your village." He picks a wild flower from the grass, and pauses. "Told me your mother would take you up there."

"Stop!" I demand.

Tormad sighs and kicks out his legs. Resting them over each other.

"I told you I would explain things." I tilt my head, confusion runs through me. "Come sit," Tormad gestures beside him. When I make no sign of moving, he sighs and angles his head up facing the sky. I watch as he swallows, the bugle in his throat bopples.

"Do you remember much of your mother, Kari?" I watch as he tilts his head and his stormy eyes land on me.

I answered him with a shake of my head. I remember bits, but nothing too vivid. And what I remember, I am unsure if they are true or just things I wish them to be.

"She was beautiful," he says, all the while keeping his gaze on me. "And could sing too."

Images of my mother singing to me as a child pops in my head. "Was also a good warrior." He paused and his eyes flicker up to the sky as though he was lost in thought. He must be delirious, as my mother was no warrior. She was a farmer's wife, and a mother.

Tormad heard me scoff and raises his brow, "You don't believe me." He tosses the flower over the edge. "We all knew your mother." He gestures around. "This was her spot."

Her spot!

The words rattle around inside my head as I wait for them to settle. My mother was from here!

"I was a young boy when she disappeared."

I feel his gaze on me. My heart thuds in my chest on the revelation of what Tormad has said. "Has your father told you, you look just like her?"

Many times. There were a few times he would call me Hilda, my mother's name. "Seems fitting for her name. Hilda." My mother's name coming from his tongue made my fist ball. "It means warrior."

Warrior. He throws that word around carelessly.

Tormad stands and places his hands on my arms. "Do you remember what I told you?" I blink blankly at him. I sneer at him and shrug from his hold, almost falling over a small rock. Tormad saw to it that I didn't touch the ground. Catching me.

My heart thuds he holds me effortlessly in his arms. Once I slow my breathing, I slap my hands against his strong arms. "When Hilda stopped sending messages..." Tormad licks his lips. I didn't miss the subtle glance to my own before he veers his steel eyes back to mine. "We had no choice but to do what we did."

To do what we did! "You mean murder innocent people!" My voice chokes as my throat constricts. Tormad scoffs.

"It wasn't our intention."

"Your mother promised us something if we let her leave."

An unsettling feeling stirs inside my stomach. And just as he spoke the words, my chest plumented.

"She promised me you!"