9

We sat there; well me and Ivar, stayed hidden in the corner, facing the door. Erick didn't trust me enough, and took a spot on the other side. I couldn't help but feel these boys looked familiar. But I didn't want to risk making any noise, other than asking their names and offering mine.

I don't know why no one came to the cabin, but I wasn't complaining about it either. The smell of smoke filled the air, though none of it entered the room. My head jerks toward the door, the rattle of the handle, and I wrap my arms around Ivar. Erick, the brave warrior, scuttles overs and picks up the heavy sword. Our only source of protection. His small chest puffs out, and he glares at the door. The need to protect his brother is vital.

My hands slacken when I saw the first glimpse of Tormad entering. His body sheathed in blood. He stares down at Erick with a raised brow and reaches over to take the sword from his little hands.

"You will hurt yourself, boy."

His eyes quickly veer past Erick and find me. "You left?" His tone wasn't pleasing. But when he glances down at the smaller boy cradled in my arms. His harsh face softens. "Ivar."

Ivar scrambles out of my hold and runs over to Tormad, wrapping his arms around his body. Tormad swoops him up and checks him over before placing him down beside his brother. The door opens, and the kids rush to the man entering. Igor's eyes soften when he sees the boys approaching him. They whimper and wrap their arms around the brute.

"They are his kin," Tormad tells me. "We thought they were..." Tormad turns away from Igor. His eyes gaze over me. "What happened?" He picks up my hands. Only then did I notice the red stains.

"She saved us," Ivar says. Erick scoffs.

"I would have had him."

Tormad and Igor exchanged a look. Igor's heavy footsteps make their way over. He placed a firm grip on my shoulder.

"Thank you," he says earnestly. He removes his grip and steps back.

"Are you ok?" Tormad asks, his hands cupping my face. And his steel eyes bore deep into mine. I nod and Tormad drops his hands.

"What happened?"

Tormad looks over at Igor. They both exchange a look, before Tormad turns and faces me. "There are some things worth telling you." I fold my arms across my chest, waiting for Tormad to speak.

The door opens and Freya enters. She walks around without a care, making her way over to Tormad. Her hand brushes over his arm. "They need you," she tells him. He nods, but keeps his eyes on me.

"I'll go," Igor tells them. He nudges his boys toward Freya. "Watch my boys." Freya's jaw twitches, but she doesn't voice her words. Ivar and Erick walk over to her as Igor leaves.

"You're the leader Tormad," Freya says. "Not Igor."

"They will listen to either of us," Tormad tells her.

Freya veers her cold eyes my way, sending me a warning glare. She picks up Ivar, and nudges Erick forward. Tormad watches as she leaves with the two boys. Once the door shuts, he takes my hand. I respectfully pull away. Not liking the odd sensation I receive when he touches me.

"I told you about your mother." Tormad stares at me, as if waiting for a response. "My father made a deal with her..."

I remember, she was to give me to his father. I can't fathom why my mother would make such a choice.

"I was meant to collect the child."

A chill ripples throughout my body as I wait for him to disclose more information.

"And I would have..." He pauses and his heavy footsteps fill the room as he makes his way over to a jug. "But I had an altercation, which led me to disown my blood. Aside from Igor." He rushes out the words. Tormad clears his throat and pours himself some water. I lick my lips, feeling the thirst, but I refuse to ask. Tormad takes a subtle sip, and watches me.

"I can't let you go either, Kari."

I feel my fist ball and the use of my name. He freely says it; and I stupidly react. His eyes hold a slight mirth to them as they veer down to my closed fists.

"If I tell you I have visions, would you believe me?"

"Odin is known to gift people with special abilities, Kari," My mother tells me. She prays to a different God than my father. It's our little secret.

"Do you have a gift?"

Mother shakes her head. "No, I wasn't blessed by Odin." Her voice sounded sorrowful, but mother kept her gaze on the fjord. The fishermen were making their way inland. "Unless you count me gifting life."

I giggle when mother taps my nose. "Come on, Kari." She lifts me to my feet. "Your father will be wondering where we are."

Tormad lifts the cross hanging from my neck, and lightly grazes his thumb over it. "Like you, we pray to a God... Odin," he says. He releases the cross, and it falls between the crevice of my boobs.

"The night before we came to your village, I was given a dream." His hand brushes the wisps of my hair and tucks them behind my ear. "You were in that dream, Kari." I jerk my head away from his touch.

"At first, I thought it was your mother, but I come to realise she is dead."

A lift of his lip makes my heart stutter. "So it is you."

"Wh, wh..." I stumbled out. My throat is suddenly tacky. I force a swallow and attempt to speak again. "Why."

Tormad steps in close. His warm breath blows against my face. My body freezes, unable to move away. "Because I wouldn't want to do this with your mother, Kari."

Before I can question his words. Tormad presses his lips against mine. My heart jolts and a warm feeling takes over my body. I don't pull away, but I also don't engage. Tormad nips at my lower lips, and pulls back. My mouth part slightly. Tormad uses this to his advantage. And deepens the kiss.

The feel of his invading tongue was enough to pull me out of my haze. I press my palms against his chest, and push hard. At first Tormad didn't budge, but with a second attempt, his right left stepped back, and his lips left mine.

"I have been wanting to do that..."

My hand makes contact with the side of his cheek. This is the second time I have slapped him, and both times my violent acts do nothing, but sting my palm.

Tormad rubs his jaw and a slight smirk sits on his face. "Hate me all you want, but you can't deny destiny."

Tormad pushes past and makes his way to the door. He stops and turns his head. "You will see, Kari. My dreams don't lie."

I choose this time to pick up the jug and aim it for his face. However, it only made it to his feet. Causing Tormad to quirk a brow at my poor attempt.

"We will work on your fighting skills."

I open my mouth to say my peace, but Tormad steps out of the cabin and closes the door. My eyes glance down at the shattered jug. But my fingers make their way to my lips, where I swear I feel the warmth of Tormad's pressed against them still.