4

Hours have passed by, and my father is no longer with me. One of Tormad's men came and took him back to where they were holding the others. I tried to follow them, but another pushed me back inside the tent. Unable to leave, and all alone, the only thing I can do was lay here and hopefully fall asleep. 

I toss and turn, unable to shut down for the night. I would often get up from the bed and take sneak peeks outside. Men have gathered around the pit, with women seated on their laps or hung loosely around their waist. I spotted him, amongst it all, and seated next to him was the woman from earlier; the one who delivered my food. 

She pressed her lips to his ear, and I watched as Tormad shook subtly. I wondered what it was she told him. But then, why did I care? She got up and sauntered away; I lost sight of her and kept my eyes fixed on Tormad. Only when he turns his head toward my tent did I close the flap and sit back on the bed. 

I force my eyes closed, and will myself to sleep. After some time the tent door flaps open. I open one eye just in time to see Tormad stumble in. He struggles with his tunic. Stumbling about the place with his hands above his head. I had thought about helping him, but then I didn't want Tormad to get the wrong idea. Between the moment of thinking, and deciding, Tormad had untangled himself and started to work on his boots. 

I pull the fur closer to my body. My heart pounded knowing Tormad was planning on sleeping in the same bed. It was foolish of me to assume he would have sourced elsewhere. The moment his body hit the bed, Tormad was out to the world. If it was for the men standing guard, I could have made my escape. The smell of mead emits from his pores. It's clear they are all drunk, apart from the men on duty. I don't know how many there are on the lookout; I only know of the two, directly outside. 

I woke to chatters outside the tent. Tormad groans beside me and stretches his arm out. The touch of his fingers sends a shiver across my body. He shouldn't be touching me. I try to shuffle away, but the weight of his arm holds me in place. 

"We need to pack up camp and head north," Tormad mumbles, as he turns to his side. You wouldn't have thought he was drunk on mead the night before, and stumbling in the early hours of the morning. I gather he got a few hours max of sleep. Me even less. 

He pulls the furs back and stands. Wearing only his trousers. "Tormad," The voice of Igor calls out. 

"Up," Tormad responds as he slips his tunic over his head, and his boots on. He veers his attention to me. "Are you able to walk?" 

He places his fur over his shoulders and buckles it in place. After he was dressed, he guided me out of the tent. His men began dismantling it, and others walked about camp, ridding of any evidence they were ever here. Covering fire pits with dirt, brushing over any foot tracks pressed into the mud. While they were looking I tore a piece of fabric from my gown and placed it in a nearby tree. Maybe someone would see it and think to save us from these men. 

"You will walk in the middle," Tormad orders me. I glance around looking for my father. Where would he be walking? Then I see him, pulling up the rear. "Your father is old," was all he said before turning from me and walking up to the front. 

"It means we hope to lose him," Igor snuck up from behind and whispers in my ear. He nudges me forward. "Move."

Tormad leads with two men flanking his sides. They were equipped with weapons, strapped to their back, and displayed on their belt. They both held an axe in one hand and a wooden object in the other.

Tormad only held an axe, but that seemed tied to his belt, leaving his hands free. It is clear Tormad is the leader of his people, and they repect him so. I would even take a guess these people would lay down their life to protect this man. I wonder breifly would he do the same. I angle my head slightly to get a sneaky glimpse at Igor. 

Igor is tall as he is wide. His shoulder are almost twice the width of mine, if not more. No doubt he could crush me. The sides of his hair are shaven and replaced with markings. Some sort of spiral.

"Careful there," Igor warns. "I don't fancy challenging my brother today."

Shame laces my face. I clear my throat and glance away. My eyes land on women who walk in the same section as I. They all pull their weight. This must be how Helga gained her strong physique. Dragging a makeshift wagon behind her. My guess, containing medical supplies. There are a few women pulling wagons filled with various items. I try to get a good glimpse at them all without Igor tugging me alone and blaming me for holding up the line.

"I have a secret," Igor speaks up, and I veer my attention to him. "Did you think we wouldn't spot it?"

I didn't know what to think.

He brings it too his nose, and takes in a long deep breath. "The sweat of fear," he murmurs tucking it back inside his satchel.

"It's only pure luck that Tormad found you when he did."

He leans in, and the warmth of his breath tickles my exposed neck. "I may not touch you, but fair warn. They might." Igor jerks his head behind me to where the women where.

He points out the girl who delivered my meal last night. "Especially her."

We slowly come to a stop, and the line parts, as Tormad makes his way down line. "We stop and rest, but cannot stay."

His eyes veer in my direction, and narrow at Igor, who thankfully steps away from me.

I spotted a fallen log, and made my way over. "Taken," a woman declares. I mutter an apology, and move on to the next spot. All conveniently taken.

"Come here," Tormad gestures for his lap. Hell would free over before I take him up of his offer. So I naturally sat down on mudded ground. Not like my clothes couldn't get any dirter.

Someone taps me on my shoulder and hands me a wooden bowl, filled with water. I glance up to see it was the same man who tore my nightgown. Instincts have me clutch the furs around my shoulder. He sighed, and lowered the bowl to the ground, and walk away with out a single word spoken.

The bowl sat there, and it took every bit of will power to not drink it. I am thirsty, but I am also stubborn.

I hug my knees trying my hardest to block all this out. I was turned away when I went to see my father. So here I am completely alone. At least I was, two feet appeared in my view, and I crane my neck to see Tormad standing there. He reaches down and picks up the bowl.

"You need to drink," he murmurs. He takes a sip. "It's not poisoned." My hand trembles as they reach out to take the water from him.

I take a cautious sip. The dryness eases.

"Why was Igor talking to you?"

I glance over to see Tormad staring back with a confused gaze. His mouth forms a firm line.

"He was telling me to watch my back."

Tormad abruptly stood, and takes a step toward Igor who happens to be harassing a woman. Before I could stop myself, I reach out and grab Tormad's hand.

Tormad tilts his head, and glances at my fingers wrapped around his wrist. I immediately remove my hand from him.

"He was meaning her."

I nod in the direction of my unwanted enemy. They are all my enemies, Tormad included. But according to Igor, and from the daggered glare she gives me now - this woman isn't to befriend.