6

Because I couldn't walk, or even stand, Tormad was the one to carry me to the bathing pools. It wasn't far from the cabin. There are many bathing areas around the village, but this is the one he uses, and it is private. 

"We are two humans washing, Kari," Tormad says, lifting his tunic over his head. "Do you need help?" 

He steps out of his trouser, and stood there, proudly on display. My cheeks heat, and I have to turn away. I've never seen another man naked, and soon, Tormad will see the most intimate parts of me. 

"I'm going to carry you to the water," he tells me, lifting me up. I'm still dressed in my filthy rags. I don't know what is worse. Seeing him naked, or being held in his naked arms. I can feel my heart thud. Tormad lowers me into the water. I brace myself for the cold, but being held against the warmth of Tormad the chill didn't come. 

He kept a tight hold on me. We weren't deep in the water, but I wasn't sure if my body was up to keeping me afloat. We usually washed ourselves with a pale of water and a cloth, not really full immersion. 

"Do you want to undress?" 

I knew he was meaning to rid myself of the dirty clothes, but having him close and naked made my mind go elsewhere. Before I could stop myself, my hand had connected with his cheek. Tormad's face didn't falter. He just kept his cool gaze on mine. 

After a few seconds, Tormad walks out of the water, bringing me with him. He lowered me down on the grass and picks up his clothes. Turning away from me, I shamefully watch as he dresses. My eyes travel down to the firm mounds of his buttocks. Under his layers of clothing, you wouldn't know his body was taut and sculptured. 

"When you're done, I will take you back to Helga," Tormad speaks out, breaking me from my trance. 

Shame fills me, and I murmur a sorry. "It's only natural." He states and helps me to my feet.

I tell him I want to try and walk alone. I refuse to be weak. The moment I am strong enough I will find a way to escape with my father. I take my first step, already feeling wobbly on my feet. Toramd steps closer, and I hold my hand out for him to stop.

"I won't learn if you keep doing it for me." 

I made it ten steps before I fell to my knees. Tormad reaches down to help me up, but I bat his hands away. Something isn't right. Why am I unable to walk?

"It was the drink," Tormad murmurs, answering my thoughts. Still kneeling, I glance up. "Helga thought she was just giving you water." 

Tormad pulls me to my feet and wraps his arms around my waist. He didn't seem to mind that my wet clothes were pressing against him. "There was something mixed in the pitcher." 

I lean against him to steady myself. "Helga uses a plant to immobilize the men when she heals them." 

He seems very sure it wasn't Helga who drugged me. He wasn't even there when she gave me that drink. Drykkja. I asked Tormad what the word means, as that was the last thing I heard Helga say to me. He told me it meant to drink. That explains why she tilted the cup. 

"How do you know Helga wasn't the one to drug me?" After all, she was urging me to drink. 

He shakes his head. "She wouldn't betray me." 

"I don't understand any of this!" My trembling hands run down my face. "Why have you kept me alive?" Not that I am ungrateful. But I can't help but think the worse. "What do you want from me?" 

Tormad starts moving and I take a wobbly step. "You will see in due time. Just trust me." 

I scoff. "Trust." How can he think I'd trust him after I watch his brother kill two people and then broke into my home? 

"You will understand why we did what we had to when the time is right." 

My teeth are chattering by the time we made it to the cabin. Tormad opens the door and walks us to an open hearth. The warmth of the fire is just what I needed, aside from dry clothes. Which were neatly folded and placed beside the pit. 

"I'll leave you to dress," Tormad says, and make his way to the door. "Since you wish to be strong-headed, you can make your way to the hut when you're done." 

I didn't know what the hut was, but I do strip the moment Tormad leaves. I stood by the fire naked, feeling no rush to dress just yet. My fingers brush over the fibers of my new clothes. I glance down at the bundled mess of my nightgown. There is no point in saving it. So I scoop it up off the floor and throw the material into the hearth. The fire sizzles as it comes into contact with the damp fibers. 

I buckle the fur that hung over my shoulders and adjusts the trousers wrapping around my legs. Back home my legs weren't bound by material. It is time for me to grace myself at the hut. I am almost certain if I don't make an appearance Tormad would come fetch me himself. So with a heavy sigh, I leave the comfort of my cabin and walk alone toward the hut. 

People topple past. At times, I had to step to the side or their drunken bodies would have crushed me into the mud. I see some leave what appears to be a large building. One man slips, while the others stand by bellow with laughter. The path is lit up with lights every so often. It's the smallest of things that divide us. Back home, we were a village, but we were separate from each other. The streets were never lit. Some homes were the same. I knew we were lucky to have a pit in ours. Father made sure to build one; I remember Mother saying this to me once. She came from a place not far from home. 

The hut was filled with people; some faces I recognise from the raid of my village. Igor's stood out. I glance around the room, trying to locate one face I knew from back home when I stumble forward as someone pushes me to the ground. I glance up from my spot on the ground to see Freya, glaring down. The light glow from the hearth beside her produces a menacing appearance. Freya folds her arms across her chest and keeps her daggered gaze in my direction.

"You can have any pick here, just not him," she warns. 

I shakenly stood up and took a few steps back, gaining some distance between us. "I don't want any man," I assure her. Why would I want to be with any of these monsters? "I just want to go home." 

Her face falters, but she manages to bring it back to her natural menacing glare. I thought she was going to say something, but when her gaze flickers behind me she spun on her heels and walked away. 

"Kari," the voice of Igor makes itself known. "You made it." He wraps his arm around my shoulders and leans in. His breath smells sickly of ale. "You look much better cleaned up." He breathes in my scent. "And smell less like shit." 

He spun us around and walks further into the hut. "Come, sit." A mug was passed to me. Liquid sloshed over the side and landed on my trousers. "Drink," Igor comands. He tosses his head back and downs whatever was in his cup. 

"Drykkja," I say rising mine up. Igor throws his head back and laughs. 

"Look at you, learning our mother tongue." 

I had a sense someone was watching me closely, and I was right. Down at the back of the hut was a large, broody man. He watched Igor's arm as it draped over my shoulder. I don't know much about the relationship of these two men, but I get a sense Tormad doesn't trust him; at least with me. 

The night carried on with men drinking, laughing, and some singing. I hadn't touched a drink, but that one drop Igor gave me. I fought back a yawn; it was time for me to retire. Igor had left me for another woman, leaving me alone with the two men who flanked Tormad and me on our journey here. Knut and Sigurd. As much as I enjoyed their company... I loathed. I decided my bed was calling me. I stood, alerting the two that I am taking my leave. They both stood, causing me to raise my brow in question. 

Knut, the more friendly of the two, spoke. "orders were to keep watch." 

when I glance over to where I last saw Tormad; he was long gone. I didn't care where he had gone, all I cared about was leaving this place to sleep. The more rest I got, the better my health will be, further aiding in the escape with my father.