2

I'm startled when something grips my wrist, and I glance down to see Tormad's fingers wrapped around my wrist. "You should eat before we journey back home," he tells me and pulls me out of my home. It was dark out, but the village was lit by the blaze of burning buildings. My stomach sank wishing to unsee what I have; the bodies of my people. They hadn't even buried them. My eyes glance down at Marcus. Seeing his lifeless body, I instantly scanned the area for my father.

Where did they take him? Is he still alive? My wayward thoughts were getting away from me. I didn't see someone step out in front, and crashed right into his solid chest.

Something hard hit my face, and cause me to crumble to the ground with a thud.

"Catherine!" I hear my name getting called out through the ringing in my ears. "Run!"

Before I can register the voice belonging to my father, I am pulled to my feet when someone grips my hair. The burning sensation in my scalp causes me to cry out.

"What do we have here?" A rough voice speaks out. "Where were you hiding?"

I was afraid of Tormad, but nowhere near afraid of him as I am of this man. I felt the tear of my gown when he tugged on the thin material. The cool air hits my naked flesh. "No! Please."

I try to escape his grasp. The man tugs harder and I bring my hands up to wrap around his, trying to loosen the grip. Through the throbbing of my pain, I can hear people shouting. It wasn't until the man is shoved off me, taking a chunk of my hair with him, that I saw Tormad standing between us.

"This woman is to not be touched," he commands. His shoulder rises and falls rapidly as he towers over the man, who instantly bows his head in respect. Tormad glances around, his body still in fight mode.

"If anyone touches her without my permission, you will meet your fate!" He turns and faces me, my eyes wander up his long legs and end at his outstretched arm, holding his hand out for me to take. I blink; weighing up my risks.

Tormad has yet to harm me. Even when his fingers wrap around my wrists, they were never tight or caused me harm.

I glance down at my exposed self and try to bring the two pieces of thin material together. Heat forms on my face, knowing that everyone can see me. Warmth wraps around my shoulders, and Tormad fastens the front with a buckle. He doesn't stray from the fur, which I am grateful for.

Now back on my feet, Tormad guides me to a makeshift cabin where men sat at tables, eating what looked like gruel. Some glanced from their bowls, but many didn't pay us any mind. He sat down and pulled out the empty stool beside him. 

"Sit!" He commands. The moment I do, a bowl is placed before me. It's common to eat a mixture of barley and wheat cooked in milk. This will keep us full for most of the day. There is no time to stop once we start work until sundown.

I notice Tormad not eating. He keeps his eyes fixed on me, watching my every move. It's unnerving, and I caused my appetite to dissipate. A man approaches Tormad and leans in to whisper something. The voices were low, that I couldn't make out a single word. Tormad nodded and stood.

"Come," he commands. "We need to make a start on our journey."

I follow Tormad out of the cabin and toward the front of the line. "Do I get to change before we leave?"

Tormad glances over his shoulders, "No!"

"Catherine!" I halt my steps and glance around. There he stood; his arms bound like a prisoner.

"Father!" I cry out and sprint over to him, wrapping my arms around his frail frame. "You're alive."

"You have to run, Catherine," he begs me. He is right. I needed to escape, but I can't.