Chapter 70

Yan Mu saw Lu Chengyu was in a daze, so knowing that he was sad, he stretched out and shook his hand, “Go in, I’ll accompany you.”

Lu Chengyu focused his mind, smiled at Yan Mu, and stepped into the room. Although the furniture in the house was covered with a layer of dust and was a bit old, from the furnishing style of the house, it could be seen that this was a very warm family home, and even the furniture was preserved as far as possible.

“When I was young, my dad built a shelf on this wall to arouse my interest in learning. As long as I got good marks in exams, he would buy a cartoon character mould I liked and put it on it,” Lu Chengyu pointed to the old style shelf. On the old multi-treasure rack, the Monkey King, Calabash Baby and other toys were still in good condition. He walked to the shelf, took off a fox enamel doll, poked its head, and saw that the fox’s head began to sway from left to right. He smiled and put the doll back in its original position, and said to Yan Mu behind him, “Come, I will take you to see the room I used to live in.”

Yan Mu followed, and after entering Lu Chengyu’s room, he saw that the furnishings in this room were neat and tidy, and there was no sign of moving. Looking around the house, he was silent for a moment before he said, “It’s very good here.”

“When our family first moved into the house, my parents said that this house was best for me,” Lu Chengyu opened the window to let the house have better air circulation, “I can see the trees, flowers and plants in the community outside the window of my room. My mother said that more green is good for the eyes.” He didn’t know if it was because he saw enough green when he was a child, but Lu Chengyu’s eyesight had always been good. Although his work and rest were no better than other children.

Standing next to the bookshelf, Yan Mu said: “Uncle and Auntie were very good to you.” He wondered why, since their family of three had such a deep relationship, why they were involved in those complicated matters.

Lu Chengyu smiled, tacitly acquiescing to this sentence, and ran his fingers across the rows of books on the bookshelf, and finally stayed on the book “One Hundred Thousand Whys”, which was the book his father bought him when he was in elementary school. When the book was handed over to him, he also said that the book should be called “One Hundred Thousand Answers to Children”.

After more than ten years, the pages of the book looked a bit old. Lu Chengyu opened the book lightly. There were a few doodles of his own on it. Turning a page, there was a row of simple addition and subtraction, which looked like a child writing at will.

Lu Chengyu paused with his finger, then quickly flipped through the pages. After finding it, he found that two adjacent pages were glued together.

Yan Mu realized that something was not right, turned around and found Lu Chengyu a knife. Seeing Lu Chengyu’s expression, he put the knife aside and put his hand around his back from behind.

“I always thought that my parents simply died in an accident. It seems that I was too stupid.” Lu Chengyu smiled bitterly, he thought he was smart, but he wasted a lifetime before finding out that his parents were involved in other things before they died. The warmth coming from behind made Lu Chengyu feel much calmer. He took the knife next to him and slowly opened the two pages of the book glued together.

Among the pages of the book was a thin piece of paper with a series of numbers and a few letters on it. Lu Chengyu looked at these numbers and recalled the number game that his father played with him when he was young. In order to exercise his memory, his father always used sorting to represent which article, which sentence in the article, and which book was represented by letters.

At that time, his dad praised him as a genius, and he also liked to play this game, so until he graduated from elementary school, he had kept the Chinese language books for six years.