Chapter 16

-----Jeno-----

-----Jeno-----

After giving me Jaemin's address, Donghyuck was out again. He was leaning his head on the passenger side window and every time we hit a bump, I would look over and check on him but he never stirred. 

I let out a sigh after checking on him once again, turning left like the GPS instructed me to do. We were getting closer and closer. I got more and more anxious every time the number of miles went down. I take another left, a right, go straight 3 more miles, and lo and behold, the apartment complex Jaemin is inside of right now is right in front of me.

I park the car and turn it off. I sit there, hands on the wheel, tense for around thirty minutes when I see Donghyuck begin to wake up through my peripheral vision.

I don't flinch when I feel a hand on my forearm, the warmth feeling extremely familiar despite my body being deprived of his touch for seven years. I wanted to put my hand on top of his and let him know that I was okay but frankly, I wasn't and I wasn't sure how I was supposed to act. So, I stayed completely still, I let him do what he wanted to because he had that right. I didn't. I had been the one to leave them.

"Let's go," he whispers but he doesn't move.

"Do you hate me?" Silence. "Does he?" I questioned, just as quietly as he had spoken.

He grabs my cheek tenderly and turns my head to look at him. He looked sober now, at least compared to earlier, and his eyes looked at me softly. And I knew I would believe any word that came out of his mouth. "I could never, you know that. We could never," he replies, a soft smile on his lips. "Let's go?"

"Yes."

I was ready to see him. If Donghyuck wanted to see me then that means Jaemin does too, right?

-----Jaemin-----

I glance at the clock above my TV one more time.

It was only 10:19 PM, I couldn't expect him to be here yet but I was anxious for him to come knocking at my door soon. 

"Wasn't the gala like at seven?" Renjun asks from the other side of the call.

I sigh, lying down on the couch, my legs hanging off the armrest. "Yes."

"So, he probably won't be back for another hour or so. Relax, Jaem. Just... try not to think about it? As hard as that may be," he tells me, trying to soothe my anxiety.

I was nervous no matter what the outcome turned out to be; nervous that Jeno wouldn't want to see us, nervous that he would. It felt like no time had passed but upon remembering that it, in fact, had, made this whole ordeal a whole lot more difficult. 

"Donghyuck still loves me but that's one thing. What are the odds that Jeno and Mark-Hyung haven't moved on? It's been seven years for fucks sake. I- I just can't let my guard down. I can't help but be afraid that everything has changed, that they don't feel the same way because all of these years I had remained delusional with the hope that suddenly, we would find each other again and it would be like no time has passed. But that's not realistic, you know? And- And I know that our love was strong but we were teens, young and naive, I can't just expect them to not have grown up, right?" After my rant, I let out a shaky breath, my eyes were full of tears at letting out all those emotions.