Chapter 6

Three days before Donghyuck and Jaemin's encounter

-----Mark-----

My days at the hospital were always about moving around, always giving my assistance, and doing what seniors at the hospital asked me to do. If I wanted to finish my residency quickly, then I had to prove myself worthy. 

"Doctor, when can I go home?" The 7-year-old boy I was examining asks. His parents were off to the side and he was swinging his legs which were dangling from the bed.

I smile, taking off my stethoscope. "You can leave later today, Daseul. But! You have to promise to eat healthily until you feel 100%. Promise?"

Daseul had come in burning up with the flu two days ago. He was fine now but to make sure that all germs get out of his system, he had to eat healthily.

He pouts and glances at his parents before looking down at his lap. "I will, doctor."

"Okay, then, you can leave in two hours." I extend my hand and smile, high-fiving him. 

I stand up from the chair I was occupying and ruffle his hair. I go to his parents. "He's in a much better condition and the medication is working extremely quickly so as long as he takes it for two more days, he'll be completely fine."

His parents sigh. "We got such a big scare. He could barely walk from his fever," his mom says, teary-eyes. 

"That's completely normal. It's better that way, you never know what could be having internally. Always come to the hospital when someone shows signs of big discomfort, that's the safe thing to do," I tell them, smiling.

"And thank you so much, Doctor Lee. Daseul really hates doctors and hospitals but you made him feel comfortable, so thank you," his father says with a smile. 

"Nothing to thank me about, this is my job. Also, I'm still doing my residency, you don't have to call me doctor." It always made me shy when people called me a doctor. It felt wrong too, considering I still had three years to finish my residency. 

"I think you deserve it," his father retorts with a grateful grin.

I let them go back to Daseul and I step out of the room, almost running into one of the nurses. "Sorry," I say with an awkward smile but she just rolls her eyes and keeps walking. 

Someone is clearly happy.

I walk to my office, greeting people on the way over. "Good morning, Dr. Jeon," I greet my officemate.

"Kun, my name is Kun, Mark," he replies, rolling his eyes. "Relax a little. If you have to spend time following me around and me supervising you then at least we shouldn't be uncomfortable around each other, I've told you that."

"Sorry."

"And don't say sorry when you're not actually sorry," he tells me with a deadpan look.

"Fine." I stop myself from saying sorry again.