Chapter 11

-----Donghyuck-----

-----Donghyuck-----

I really, really, really didn't want him to ask about how I led my life in the last years. It wasn't something worth telling. Especially not to him.

It's not that I ever did something that I would feel ashamed of. Not exactly, anyway. It's the fact that there isn't much to tell. In college, there were only two things that I invested my time in; drinking and schoolwork. After college, it was the same; drinking and working. Although the drinking significantly decreased after college. Then again, those were the two things that my life was surrounded by and I wasn't exactly proud of it.

I didn't have memories like the ones that he did, surrounded by new people that he could have fun with. I don't have any adventures like the ones that he told me. Like when he and his friends (Renjun, Da-young, and Lucy) took an abrupt trip to Busan on their first year of college right after finals.

I didn't have that.

I don't even have any college friends.

There are the people that I went to bars with and those that kept me around because of the benefits that it came with. And, I was always nice to them. I smiled and waved when they waved but I never considered them my friends.

"Tell me about your life," he says the dreading statement, breaking the silence we had found ourselves in.

It takes everything in me to smile in response instead of wincing or looking uncomfortable like I was internally feeling. I saw his eyes turn curious to nervous, probably sensing my real emotions.

"Or, you don't have to..." he tells me hesitantly, looking down at his lap. Of course, he knows how to read me. We have always been good at that.

"I'm sorry. It's-" I sigh. "It's not that I don't want to tell you, it's just that there isn't much to tell." I shrug, also looking down.

He scoffs but I don't look up. "You were worried I was unhappy when in reality, you're the miserable one, huh?" His voice was a tone that I couldn't decipher, that's what made me look at him.

He looked sad and maybe also a little pissed though I couldn't exactly understand why.

It takes me a long time to answer. I let out a breathy laugh when I get out of my shocked state and I breathe out, "Yeah... I guess you're right." I pause. "Actually, there really wasn't much in my life, to be honest. I worked--Like, a lot. Some people might even debate that it was an unhealthy amount but that's how-" I sigh. "That's how I distracted myself all of these years. Work and alcohol, that was my salvation from sorrow."

-----Jaemin-----

My breath hitches at his words, and I find myself with a lump in my throat at just how he described his life. Solitude, I guess that's what it was mostly made out of. I thought that I had had a rough life without them but at least I had people there for me and by the looks of it, Donghyuck hadn't.