Chapter 18: Teachers

I, Ayanokouji, was sure I hadn’t done anything to get me called to the office. Exiting the classroom, I could feel my classmates’ stares drilling a hole into the back of my head. Timid as a rabbit, I found the faculty office and entered. I looked all around, but I didn’t find Chabashira-sensei anywhere. Baffled, I called out to a teacher inspecting her appearance in a mirror.

Kiyotaka: Excuse me, is Chabashira-sensei here?

???: Hmm? Sae-chan? Oh, she was just here a moment ago.

The teacher had wavy, shoulder-length hair, which made her look mature. The way she said Chabashira-sensei’s name made them sound close. They were near in age and probably friends.

???: She must have stepped away for a minute. Do you want to wait here?

Kiyotaka: No, thank you. I’ll wait in the hall.

I didn’t like being in the faculty office. I hated attention, so the hall would do just as well. However, the young teacher unexpectedly followed me.

Hoshinomiya: I’m Hoshinomiya Chie, in charge of 1-Class B. Sae and I have been best friends since high school. That’s why we call each other Sae-chan and Chie-chan.

That information seemed kind of superfluous.

Hoshinomiya: Hey, why did Sae-chan call you? Huh? Huh? Why?

Kiyotaka: No idea.

Hoshinomiya: I don’t understand. You were called to the office without a reason? Hmm? What’s your name?

An onslaught of questions. She scanned me from top to bottom, as if sizing me up.

Kiyotaka: My name’s Ayanokouji.

Hoshinomiya: Ayanokouji-kun, huh? Oh, wow, that’s a cool name. You’re pretty popular, aren’t you?

I'm not and what was with this overly friendly teacher? She acted more like a student. If this were an all-boy school, she would have immediately captured every student’s heart.

Hoshinomiya: Hey, do you already have a girlfriend?

Kiyotaka: No…I’m, uh, not especially popular.

I tried to seem reluctant, but Hoshinomiya-sensei kept pushing herself onto me. She grabbed my arms with slender, delicate hands.

Hoshinomiya: Hmm? How unexpected. If we were in the same class, I’d never leave you alone. Perhaps because you’re so innocent? Or do you like playing hard to get?

She caressed my cheeks. I had no idea what to do. She’d probably stop if I licked her fingers, but I had a feeling that’d get me expelled.

Chabashira: What are you doing, Hoshinomiya?

Chabashira-sensei appeared out of nowhere, ahh…thank goodness. With a loud thud, she smacked Hoshinomiya-sensei on the head with her clipboard. Hoshinomiya-sensei crouched and gripped her skull in apparent pain.

Hoshinomiya: Ouch! What was that for?

Chabashira: For getting involved with one of my students.

Hoshinomiya: I was only keeping him company while he waited for you, Sae-chan.

Chabashira: It would have been better if you just left him alone. Thanks for waiting, Ayanokouji. Let’s go into the office.

Kiyotaka: The guidance office? Did I do something wrong? I’ve been trying to keep a low profile here.

Chabashira: A good answer. Come.