Ch. 29 - Unspoken Words

"What are you doing awake at this hour, my Precious Lotus?"

(Y/n) asked in a quiet tone.
Although he thought he was alone in the bamboo forest, the feeling of the boy's eyes on his back proved him wrong.
Knowing he had been found out sooner than he thought he would, Sabito let out a small sigh and stepped out from where he was hiding in defeat.

Instead of answering (y/n), Sabito just shuffled along silently and sat down beside the demon.
(Y/n) turned his head to look at Sabito with a small frown and reached a hand up to caress the boy's head, a hint of worry in his eyes.

"Is something wrong?"

He asked quietly, tilting his head to look the boy in the eyes.
Instead of talking, Sabito just let out another little sigh, but this time it was accompanied by a shake in his breath.
Sabito avoided (y/n)'s gaze and just looked at the dirt as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

Figuring that Sabito just didn't want to talk about what was troubling him yet, (y/n) gave him an understanding smile and scooped the boy into his arms.
He pulled Sabito into his lap and started combing his fingers through his messy peach-colored hair, massaging the child's scalp soothingly.

"You can tell me when you're ready then, my boy.."

He told him softly before looking up to the moon again, a gentle smile tugging at his lips.
Sabito almost wanted to resist (y/n)'s affection, but he couldn't help but melt into his warmth.
He felt so safe in the demons' arms, even though that would never be true for most others.
He just wanted to stay there forever, resting comfortably in his father figures' arms without a worry in the world.
But he knew he couldn't.
That's what brought him to the demons' "secret" place tonight.

After a while of sitting there in a comfortable silence, a few sniffles sounded from the boy, followed by a little sob.
(Y/n)'s worry spiked when Sabito's little body shook with the quiet cry, causing him to hug Sabito close.

"Shh... What's wrong, my Precious Lotus? Please tell me... I don't wish for you to cry.."

(Y/n) asked calmly, despite his heart racing with concern.

"What if something happens to you while we're away..? What if someone comes to hurt you and I can't protect you, Otou-san...?"

Sabito asked, his little body starting to tremble as he fought back his tears.

"Oh, honey..."

(Y/n) sighed sadly, trying to think of what to say to him.
(Y/n) was surprised that Sabito wanted to protect him from threats that he himself hadn't worried about in decades, not entirely able to understand why Sabito would worry for him to such an extent.

"It's only a week, buddy.. I'll still be here when you get back, okay? And if something does happen within those few days, I'm sure Urokodaki-san will be able to take care of me just fine."

(Y/n) tried to reassure him, smiling at the boy and moving his hands to hold his cheeks.
Sabito looked up at the demon with his lips pulled into a deep frown, tears welling up in his sweet lavender eyes.

"B-but what if I can't protect Giyu-san while we're there, either..? What- what if a demon tries to attack him, and- and.."

Sabito wasn't able to get through his last sentence without breaking into tears, bringing his arms up to rub away his tears with the heels of his hands.
(Y/n) was quick to move Saboto's hands away from his eyes and rubbed his cheeks, wiping his tears away with his thumbs.