Ch. 18 - My Precious Delphinium

In the morning, once everyone was introduced to each other, Sabito took Giyu outside to play.
(Y/n) watched the two play with sticks with a great fondness in his eyes while Urokodaki brewed tea.

"Just say what you're thinking, (y/n). It's hard to read you when you smell like a bunch of different emotions."

Urokodaki said as approached (y/n) sitting at the front door, handing him a cup and pouring him some tea.
(Y/n) thanked him silently and chuckled.

"I don't think this kid is going to like me much. I'm sure we could train him to be a wonderful swordsman, but he's not as trusting as Sabito... not towards me at least. I understand I'm just some demon but how am I meant to train someone who won't trust me? I don't want to leave him just to you because I want to try to get him to open up but I don't know how to go about it. I'm probably just another creature of the night in his eyes."

(Y/n) sighed and sipped his tea, struggling to come up with a solution to his dilemma.
Urokodaki hummed thoughtfully and closed his eyes to think, although that wasn't known to anyone but him.

"Why don't you take him to see the wisteria tonight? Just the two of you being somewhere that bad demons won't go may help him open up."

Urokodaki suggested and (y/n) hummed in response, lowering his cup from his lips with a smile.

"I think that's a great idea, my calm Cornflower. I'll ask him if he wants to come with me tonight!"

(Y/n) nodded to himself and finished his tea, politely asking for more.
Urokodaki poured them each more tea and they continued to watch the boys play.

Later that night, after everyone had eaten dinner and gone to bed, (y/n) stayed up and sat on the roof.
He had let everyone know he would be staying up and keeping an eye on the house, so it didn't surprise him when he heard a small voice call to him from the front yard.

"(Y/n)-san..? Are you out here?"

Giyu called out for him nervously, loud enough to be heard but still quiet enough to not wake anyone up.

"What's up, Giyu-kun?"

(Y/n) asked as he jumped down from the roof, accidentally startling the boy a bit.

"I.. um... I had a nightmare and I can't go back to sleep.. I knew you were still awake and I didn't want to be alone, so..."

Giyu sounded embarrassed to admit he was scared of a dream, so (y/n) took the boy's hands in his own and gave him a soft smile.

"Can I show you something, Giyu-kun?"

He asked softly and the boy looked up at him hesitantly.
When their eyes met, a sense of calm washed over Giyu and he nodded, making (y/n)s smile brighten.
(Y/n) lifted Giyu onto his back and began to run off, making Giyu hold on tightly and shut his eyes.

When (y/n) slowly came to a stop, Giyu opened his eyes and his jaw dropped at the sight.
The elegant vines of wisteria and the enchanting yet dull glow they gave off had the boy awestruck, to say the least.
The boy reached an arm out to touch them while (y/n) glanced at him with a warm smile.

"Why are you showing me this, (y/n)-san?"

Giyu asked, breaking the comfortable silence.

"Well, this is where I come when I'm scared. Bad demons can't come near these trees, so anyone who comes around them is safe. I wanted to show you these so you can know that too! And I want you to know that it's okay to be scared, alright? No matter what you're scared of."

(Y/n) said and Giyu's brows furrowed but he nodded nonetheless.
After a little longer of (y/n) walking them around, he set Giyu down and sat against a tree with the boy joining him soon after.
They sat in silence again and watched the leaves gently flow in the wind until Giyu spoke up once more.

"What are you afraid of, (y/n)-san?"

This question caught the demon off guard and he had to take a minute to think.

"I'm afraid of a lot of things, Giyu-kun, but... I think the thing I'm afraid of the most is losing the people I care about. Though, that's what everyone is afraid of, isn't it?"

(Y/n) chuckled and closed his eyes, unaware of Giyu looking at him in surprise.

"You're more afraid of losing people than dying?"

"Yep! I've lived long enough and I've been able to see the sun, so I'm okay with dying. But you humans and the few demons I care about.. I'd be heartbroken if any of you died. I know humans are meant to die, but it still doesn't sit right with me. I'm not afraid of death."

(Y/n) smiled and sighed, relaxing as a cool air blew around them.
Giyu hummed in understanding and shivered, not used to the cold.
(Y/n) heard the boy shiver and untied his obi from around his waist, taking off his haori and wrapping it around Giyu to help him stay warm.
The boy smiled and leaned against (y/n), closing his eyes as he grew tired.

"Goodnight, my precious Delphinium."

(Y/n) whispered with a smile and closed his eyes too, joining Giyu in his journey into sleep.

Unannounced to the two, an intrigued pair of eyes watched the interaction between boy and demon curiously.

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《~Fin.~》

944 words not including these!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

Hey, hey! I'm back from the dead! I apologize that this chapter wasn't very eventful for how (ridiculously) difficult it was for me to write! Hopefully I'm able to do the next chapter justice, but anywho that's all from me! Thank you for taking the time to read this chapter, dear reader! Until next time, I hope you have an absolutely terrific day/night!

Edit: Giyu has been removed from the "family" relationship for reasons that will become apparent later on!