Ch. 15 - Pt. 2 - Hunting the Damned

《{Warning: cussing, gore/death}》

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

"(Y/n)-san! Where are you going?"

(Y/n) heard Sabito call after him but he couldn't turn back to him.
Not yet, anyway.
Something was terribly wrong.

The faint sounds of screams and crackling fires in his ears grew closer as he neared the village.
One voice in particular made his heart race with worry.
When he arrived at the village, the amount of fire could fool someone that the sun had risen.

Then there it was again, that voice.

"(L/n)-kun..? Is that you..?"

Sanjiwara said from under the burning rubble of her shop.
(Y/n) turned to look at her with anguish in his eyes.
Kneeling next to the trapped women was Ukame, sobbing and shakily holding her free hand.

"Obaa-san! Obaa-san, save your strength! A kakushi should be here soon! They'll save you, okay? Please stay with me, Obaa-san!"

The boy cried as the old women simply smiled weakly and shook her head.

"Ukame-kun.. if you can see (l/n)-kun... please tell him to kill that nasty demon for us, okay..? And if he's here.. he needs to leave before the slayers show up. They don't know he's a good one..."

Sanjiwara breathed out and squeezed Ukame's hands one last time before falling silent.
Ukame wailed and turned his head to the sky, desperately wating to see the stars through the thick smoke.

"Please, kill that thing, (l/n)-san! I don't know what you are, but I know you can do it! Obaa-san knows you can do it! Kill that damn demon, (l/n)-san! For Obaa-san!"

The boy cried as (y/n) stood still, watching the two with only one thought running through his mind.

'𝑯𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒅𝒊𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒇𝒍𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒎𝒂𝒍𝒔. 𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒄𝒂𝒏.. 𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒔𝒐 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎 𝒐𝒇, 𝒚𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒅𝒊𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒖𝒄𝒉 𝒔𝒊𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔. 𝑨 𝒔𝒊𝒄𝒌𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔, 𝒂 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍, 𝒂 𝒄𝒖𝒕, 𝒂 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏... 𝒘𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒅𝒊𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒘𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔.'

That's right.
Two things, one more painful than the other.
However, if one knows what they're doing, both can be equally as painful.
An idea snaked it's way into (y/n)'s mind and his face settled into an unreadable expression.

"I'll kill that demon for Sanjiwara-san. For every innocent life it's taken."

And with that, (y/n)s silhouette vanished from the smoke just as two kakushi ran over to Ukame.
A particular hashira followed the demon as he ran.

After only a few moments of searching (y/n) narrowed down the area the demon could have ran and honed in on it.
He started sensing the demon's aura and began mentally finalizing his plan to kill it.
When the demon was finally in his sight, he started to slow to a stop just a few yards behind her, cracking the ground with his last steps to get her attention.

The demoness turned to face him with a giddy smile and eyes that made his blood boil.
The 'lower six' kanji in her eye and her creepy smile reminded him too much of Doma.
He couldn't let that stop him from exacting his revenge, however.