Ch. 26 - Too Loud

When the kakushi finished looking (y/n) over, they left him alone in the room.
He sat there in silence, the only noise being birds singing outside the windows.

That's when his mind started to wander again...

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

"Otou-san, I can't do this!"

A voice hollered, sounding exhausted and annoyed.

"If you're so certain you can't, then I'll make you tend to my flowers till you're certain again."

Another voice called back, sounding determined and unwavering.

"That's not fair! I've been working all day without any improvement! This is pointless!"

The younger voice complained, the sound of metal hitting the ground filling the moment of silence.

"Pick it up, Sabito."

(Y/n) sighed and crossed his arms, visibly irritating the boy.

"Otou-san-"

"Pick up your blade, Musuko-san. You should never drop your katana in battle, no matter how hopeless it seems."

(Y/n) ordered and stepped towards Sabito, surprising the boy with his seriousness.
Rolling his eyes, Sabito licked up the katana.
When he looked back up, his eyes widened as he saw (y/n) brandishing his own katana.

"Try again, my precious Lotus. It'll do you better if you're trying against a real opponent."

(Y/n) nodded, getting into a defensive stance.
Sabito, on the other end of the small clearing, looked at the demon with uncertainty in his lavender eyes.

"Otou-san... what if I hurt-"

"Do not hesitate, my precious Lotus. Hesitation will do you no good when danger bares its venomous fangs."

(Y/n)'s voice was firm and encouraging, nodding to reassure the young boy that it would be fine.
After a few moments of nervous silence, Sabito took a deep breath and shifted into an offensive stance.

"Water breathing: Fourth form! Striking Tide!"

Sabito called out and moved to attack (y/n), making multiple strikes towards him.
(Y/n) easily deflected the hits, as to be expected, but these strikes felt almost like there was no strength behind them.
When Sabito finished his attack, he was panting and hunched over.
(Y/n) quickly stuck his blade into the ground and crouched down beside the boy, putting one of his hands on the boy's back with a worried frown.

"Breath, my precious Lotus. Relax."

(Y/n) soothed and let Sabito catch his breath before speaking again.

"Are you alright, my precious Lotus? Your strikes felt light, and your swings were as uneven as your breathing."

(Y/n) sighed and watched the boy collect himself, his eyebrows furrowed with concern.
Sabito grumbled and nodded, dropping his katana again.
He then looked at (y/n) with his lips tugged into a frown.

"I don't want to hurt you, Otou-san."

He huffed and looked away from (y/n), causing the demon's frown to deepen.

"You know you can't permanently hurt me, my precious Lotus. Just think of our swords as the sticks we used to train with, okay? No hesitation, my precious Lotus."

(Y/n) smiled and gently rubbed circles on Sabito's back.
Unfortunately, this seemed to only annoy Sabito further, as he turned to look at (y/n) with a torn expression.

"But you hesitate every time we train, Otou-san! Don't think I didn't notice, too."

Sabito pointed out, causing (y/n)'s smile to falter for a moment.

"Sabito, you know I'm still a demon, right? One wrong move, and I could..."

(Y/n)'s voice trailed off, his expression saddening as he looked at Sabito with so much worry and care.
In response to this, Sabito's face softened, and he gave (y/n) such a bright and innocent smile.

"I know you're still a demon, but you'll always be my-"

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

(Y/n) was dragged out of such a sweet dream by sudden... screaming?

"AHHH! Where am I?! Why do I feel so... small? ... GAHHH!! WHERE ARE MY ARMS AND LEGS?! AHHHHH!!"

A shrill voice screamed, causing (y/n) to cover his sensitive ears in discomfort.

"Be quiet! There's more patients here, and they're trying to rest! You're lucky Lady Kocho is letting you stay here!"

Another voice shouted, causing (y/n) to sit up and look over at the commotion.
Next to the bed closest to the door stood a girl with deep blue eyes.
Her black hair was parted down the middle and tied up into twin-tails held together by blue butterfly hair clips.

Assuming she was the second person who shouted, (y/n) turned his attention to the boy sitting on the bed.
The young boy had a snot and tear stained face with soft brown and gold eyes.
His short yellow to orange hair was all ruffled and uneven like a rat's nest.

Instead of bursting out and shouting at the both of them, (y/n) just shook his head and looked at the third bed.
That's there he saw a familiar face or... head?
There laid the boar masked boy as silent and still as a sentinel.
It was a relaxing change to see someone (y/n) recognized this new place... until the blond started screaming again.

That's when (y/n) snapped.

He grabbed the empty bamboo cup from his bedside table and chucked it at the boy, hitting him in the back of the head.
The blond cried out and dramatically fell face first onto the mattress.

"She's right, you loud child! Some people are trying to rest after fighting, and they don't want to hear you screaming like a Limpkin! Quit it, or I'll shove moss down your throat!"

Y/n) threatened, only to make the blond shout more.
With narrowed eyes under his mask, (y/n) started slowly reaching into one of his sleeves.
Just as he grabbed a handful of moss from within, a kakushi walked into the room and called for him.

The blond had Lady Luck on his side, for now.

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《~Fin.~》

966 words not including these!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

Back with another chapter, my dears! I know this one was mostly the flashback, but I just wanted to write something simple before the next chapter! I was also planning on making this part 1 of a chapter, but I felt like this one could stand on its own! I will leave this little note at that, my dear readers! I hope you enjoyed this fun little chapter, and I look forward to seeing you all next time! Have a wonderful day/night!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《{Secrets unlocked: x4!}》

《{Aoi and Zenitsu were completely unaware that (y/n) was there, despite Zenitsu's super good hearing!}》

《{Zenitsu took the cup being thrown at him very personally!}》

《{Inosuke watched the whole thing play out, but he felt too disappointed in himself to laugh!}》

《{The kakushi could have walked in sooner, but they thought it would be funny to watch!}》