Ch. 20 - Interesting Allies

《{Do be somewhat warned, I'm making this a super long chapter because I don't want another part 2 for this batch, and I don't want it to drag into the next one! Enjoy!}》

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

After dinner, (y/n) stayed awake sitting on the engawa of the house while Urokodaki and Giyu went to bed.
His mind raced with self-destructive thoughts as he looked towards the rising moon with a haze over his eyes.
Suddenly, his mind was drawn back to the present, and all of those thoughts seemed to snap away as the shoji door slid open.

"(Y/n)-san... I can't sleep. Could you tell me a story..?"

Giyu asked in a shy tone, somewhat shrinking under (y/n)s gaze as the demon turned to look at him.
When his eyes landed on the boy, (y/n) couldn't help but smile warmly and pat the wooden floor next to him.

"Of course I can! Close the door and take a seat."

(Y/n) beckoned the boy over, and he listened, closing the shoji door behind him and sitting next to (y/n) with his legs dangling off the engawa.

"What kind of story would you like me to tell you?"

"Any kind of story would be nice.. I don't mind."

Giyu said with a small smile and (y/n) nodded, turning his attention back to the moon.
(Y/n) decided to tell him the story about his encounter with one of the first users of wind breathing.
He spoke highly of the slayer that tried to kill him, as if it were a normal duel.
While he was nowhere near hashira lever or even marked, it was still an impressive battle.
And of course, since (y/n) refused to hurt humans and the slayer refused to quit, the battle ended in a stalemate when the slayer drove himself to exhaustion.

Giyu found it rather odd that (y/n) spoke about the slayer's breathing style with stars in his eyes, but he didn't question him.

The demon often found beauty in the strangest things, after all.

Just as (y/n) was wrapping up his story, a cold wind suddenly picked up and Giyu shuttered.
Cutting himself off, (y/n) looked at the boy with a slight frown.

"How can you sit out here in weather like this?"

Giyu asked and rubbed his arms, making (y/n) furrow his brows.

"Oh, I didn't think it was that cold.. but let's get you inside so you don't get sick. You need all your energy so you can slay all those bad demons when your sword gets here."

(Y/n) smiled and took off his haori, wrapping it around Giyu and lifting the boy into his arms.
Before Giyu could protest they were already inside the house and (y/n) set him down on his futon.

"But what about your story? You didn't get to finish it.."

Giyu said and tugged at (y/n)s yukata, keeping him kneeled down by the futon.

"I'll finish it another day, alright? You need to sleep."

(Y/n) spoke and patted Giyu's back as he tried to give the haori back.

"You can hold onto that tonight if it helps you sleep. I'll just pick it up in the morning."

(Y/n) smiled warmly and Giyu nodded, hugging the haori around himself and laying down.
(Y/n) ruffled the boy's hair and stood up, walking to the door of the room.

"I'm very proud of you, Giyu. Become a strong hashira for Urokodaki-san, okay?"

(Y/n) said softly and Giyu nodded, drifting off to sleep.
As (y/n) closed the door, his smile dropped and he rushed off to his own room.
He immediately took out some paper and a jar of ink, dipping his index finger into it and beginning to write.
His expression was both focused yet distracted as he scribbled on the paper, his mind wandering but also deep in thought.
The more he wrote, the more obvious the tears in his eyes became, almost threatening to spill out onto the page blotched with ink.