Ch. 12 - Conversing With the Enemy

Back to y/ns PoV!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

(Y/n) patted the stones of the well next to him to offer Urokodaki a seat who stayed where he stood.

"Very well, Urokodaki-dono, stay where you are. Tell me, are you able to tell how many humans I've eaten? I can only assume you have a strong nose since you came from the opposite side of the mountain, no?"

(Y/n) smiled and tiled his head, watching Urokodaki stiffen at his inquisition.

"You... don't smell like you've taken a single life. You don't even smell of any blood lust or anger towards me. How..?"

Urokodaki spoke in a confused tone, eying (y/n) up and down behind his mask.
(Y/n) laughed at his confusion and stood up from his well, walking towards his section of blue flowers.

"Well, be happy your nose isn't lying to you. I've never eaten a human in the hundreds of years I've been a demon! I think I'm at, what, 455?"

(Y/n) said cheerfully and snickered to himself, practically feeling Urokodaki's disbelief through his mask.

"How is that even possible? All demons need to eat humans to survive. It's their nature."

"Well, I guess I'm just special, hm? I've never met a demon that loves flowers as much as I do, either!"

(Y/n) crouched down in front of his patch of blue flowers and hovered over over them carefully, feeling Urokodaki getting closer.

"Unfortunately, I'm not too sure how I can prove it to you. Do you have any ideas, Urokodaki-dono?"

(Y/n) spoke calmly as he felt the cold edge of Urokodaki's blade on the back of his neck.

"I... can tell you're telling the truth. You would never hurt a human unless you absolutely had to, right?"

"Correct you are, water hashira!"

Urokodaki sighed and sheathed his blade, allowing (y/n) to continue to delicately inspect his flowers.

"Why don't you eat humans? Since they're the most nutritious food for your kind, what do you eat in place of it?"

At those questions, (y/n) froze and hovered his hand above a particular flower before gently picking it and standing up.

"Well, I value life more then others do, I guess? Human lives especially, I mean. Sure, I care about my flowers and I pay respects to the animals I eat, but humans... Humans are different from flowers and animals. They can.. create things so many creatures can only dream of, yet they can die to such simple things. A sickness, a fall, a cut, a demon... we demons can only die to two things. It doesn't feel right for me to take the lives of 'your kind'.. especially since I can live without laying a finger on any of you."

(Y/n) spoke in an almost dreamy and admiring tone and brushed his fingers over the flower's petals.
Urokodaki watched silently as he spoke again.

"Whenever I hear a demon about to take a life, I get to them as soon as I can and kill the demon to help whoever is in trouble. Maybe that's why I'm no longer a part of the upper moons? I wasn't strong enough and that poison didn't help much.. ah, but enough of that. I just really appreciate the life humans have, so delicate and frail but strong and fierce! Seeing how you all get by without powers is so inspiring to all the little ones humans have scurrying around! Ah, I'm rambling, aren't I? My apologies, it's just been so long since I've talked to anyone like this."

(Y/n) smiled and handed the flower to Urokodaki who took it gently.

"I guess I really just-"

"Feel more human than demon?"

Urokodaki finished which made (y/n) look at him with slight surprise.

"I don't quite understand it, but... you've said nothing but the truth. Normally, demons will say anything to get themselves off of death's door, but you haven't lied to me once. I can't even sense your demonic aura so why do you stay up here by yourself?"

"Well, if a slayer was to see through me in a public setting, I fear a fight would break out! Bystanders would be harmed if they weren't as understanding as you, wouldn't they?"

(Y/n) smiled and walked back towards his well, propping himself up on the wall of the well once more.

"I can also let my flowers grow to their fullest potential out here! I'd have to grow them inside for their safty if I lived in a town or city."

(Y/n) closed his eyes and lifted his head to the sky, taking in the last beams of moonlight before sunrise.
Urokodaki just watched him silently, unsure what to think of the demon.
On one hand, honesty pourd from every word he spoke.
On the other, Urokodaki was sent to slay him and going against the master's word was unheard of.
As if he had sensed Urokodaki's conflicting thoughts, (y/n) turned to look at him with a warm smile.

"If you still need to fight me for your master, I won't be opposed. I'll simply flee come sunrise-"

"No."

Urokodaki's interruption made (y/n)s smile drop into a questioning frown.

"I'll make sure my crow won't say a thing about what we've spoken of tonight. What is your name, demon?"

Urokodaki held his arm out to call for his crow, turning his visual attention away from (y/n).
Was it really smart for him to put his
trust in a demon of all things?
Hopefully it was for his sake and maybe even for the future sake of the corps.
Having an upper moon on their side, especially such an old one, could prove to be a very valuable asset to defeating Muzan.

"Oh, how rude of me! I'm (l/n) (y/n)!"

Urokodaki hummed and nodded as his crow landed on his arm.

"I see. Well, (l/n)-san, I'll be on my way now. I'll visit when I can so you're not so lonely, alright?"

Urokodaki said before he whispered something to his crow.
Whatever he said must have worked because the crow looked between the two wide-eyed before nodding frantically and being sent on its way.

"Very well, Urokodaki-dono. Stay safe and work hard. I'll be cheering for you!"

(Y/n) called in a cheerful tone has Urokodaki walked away.
Just as Urokodaki turned around, however, he saw something he would have never imagined to see.
There, under the sunrise and unprotected by shade, stood the upper moon carelessly tending to his flowers.

A demon that could walk in the sun without a care in the world.

Before Urokodaki could say anything, he was called away by his crow.
Where he stood now rested the flower (y/n) had handed him and the demon only looked back at it with a warm smile.

"Please stay safe and come back to me, Urokodaki-dono.."

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《~Fin.~》

1149 words not including these!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

This was an interesting chapter to write! I hope you enjoyed it, my dear reader! I have such interesting ideas for these 10 chapters and I'm grateful for everyone who's following along! Until next time, dear reader! I hope you have an amazing day/night!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《{Secrets unlocked: x1!}》

《{Y/n genuinely expected Urokodaki to still want to fight him despite y/n telling the truth!}》