⁴¹

"Let's go see your daddy, huh?" Bonnie bounces Rett as she heads towards the bedroom. Her heart skips a beat when she finds the bed empty. "Mark!?" She calls, looking around.

"Here!" He calls.

Bonnie rushes out of the room and to the stairs, Mark sat half way down with his head in his hands. "What are you doing!?" She rushes down and sits beside him, one hand holding Rett as the other rubs his back.

"Trying to get a drink." He mumbles and sighs, lifting his head. "Since when were stairs so exhausting?" He mutters with tired eyes.

She rests her head on his shoulder and takes a slow breath. "Because you've just spent 2 months in a bed, unmoving, after going through a life altering event." She says gently and rests her chin on his shoulder. "You aren't superhuman - you need time to heal."

He takes a deep breath. "I am healed. There's nothing physically wrong with me." He says stubbornly. The same stuff he's been saying since he woke up a week ago. He's only been home 2 days and it's been a mission to keep him in bed. A mission Bonnie has failed.

"Let's just sit for a few." She suggests, adjusting the baby a little. "We'll wait for Derek and he can help-"

"I don't want help!" He snaps loudly.

Rett jumps and begins to cry, Bonnie bringing him close. "Oh hey now, shh." She coos and gets up. "Let's leave daddy just as he wants then." She snaps a little as she walks off.

Mark sighs and groans, leaning his head on the wall, closing his eyes. "Babe." He calls. "I'm sorry. Bonnie. Bonnie!" He keeps calling, growling as she ignores him. He spots the baby toys set a few steps down and slowly stretches his stiff leg out, nudging it off. It clatters to the floor and Bonnie rushes to the living room doorway to check on him.

"You ass." She mutters with a glare as he smirks. "You don't get to be hot and cold with me whenever you please." She snaps, setting Everett on his play mat and crossing her arms as she turns back. "You have no right."

"I know. I am sorry, I really am." He puts a hand on his heart. "I'm frustrated. I'm so used to independence that I can't have right now and it is hard. I am sorry." He repeats genuinely.

Bonnie shrugs small and looks at her feet. "S'okay." She mumbles.

He sighs. "Will you please help me to the couch at least? I'll rest there, I swear." He begs.

She silently goes over and sits beside him, wrapping an arm around him. He and her bump down a few steps until he sets his feet on the floor. She helps him stand as he groans a little, one arm gripping her side and the other bracing on the wall.

"You got it?" She mumbles.

"G-got it." He mutters and straightens slowly.

The doorbell rings and he nods once; Bonnie slowly let's go and moves the few steps to the door, pulling it open to see Derek, Meredith and Zola. "Hi." She forces a tired but happy smile.

"Hi." Derek raises a brow as he sees Mark shuffling from the stairs towards the living room.

'Don't ask' Bonnie's eyes yell at him. "Come on in." She says aloud, stepping aside.

Zola runs/waddles in. "Baby!" She yells as she rushes to Rett.

"Your kid walks better than me, that's so damn rude." Mark jokes as he leans an arm on the doorway.

"You aren't walking? Bit dramatic, buddy." Derek jokes back as he pats his shoulder. "How's that atrophy coming along?"

"Fan-freaking-tastic." He muses grumpily. He's full of deep appreciation as Derek subtly let's him lean against him as he walks to the couch. He groans as he sinks into it then sighs heavy. "Amazing."