³⁷

Bonnie carries Zola on her hip as she rushes through the unfamiliar hospital following her closest friends to find the fate of the rest of their friends. She breathes shakily as she struggles to keep up carrying Zola and her large belly. This is the last thing she needed at nearly 8 months pregnant.

"Here." Callie says from up ahead, rushing down a corridor.

"Cmon, Zozo, you can walk now." Bonnie puts her down and takes her hand, waddling after Callie. If she could move faster, she'd be ahead with Callie finding out what's happened. What's wrong with her Mark.

"Gimme Zola. Go." Bailey says as she picks the tot up.

Bonnie forces a smile and manages a faster walk, getting to Callie as she yells at the doctor. "Callie, let the man talk!" She snaps.

The doctor looks at Bonnie. "Who are you?"

"Mark Sloan's fiance. His next of Kin." She informs him. "What's the damage?" She inhales shakily, her strong front faltering already.

He takes a deep breath. "Mr Sloan has catastrophic internal injuries. Spleen damage, one kidney removed and the other failing, severe bruising, a torn diaphragm. We have done all we can surgically but..."

Bonnie swallows the lump in her throat. "Where." She whispers.

The doctor motions to the room just beside them, putting an arm out to stop Callie. "Your wife..." He begins, but Bonnie doesnt hang around to hear.

Her lip quivers as she stops in the doorway to the room, her heart shattering and the facade falling. She bursts into tears, covering her mouth in shock when she sees Mark so... damaged. Face bruised so deeply. ET tube in his throat, the machine breathing rhythmically for him. The trauma dressing over his open abdomen, the blankets unable to cover the view.

She slowly walks forward and takes his hand, her other hand stroking his cheek. "P-please." She whispers, choking on a sob. Please don't die.

She's stood holding his hand for a while before someone comes in behind her, resting a hand gently on the small of her back. "You need to sit." Richards warm voice says.

Bonnie blinks, her eyes dry from hardly doing so in a while. "I can't." She whispers.

"Here." He says gently, someone behind her pushing a chair close so Richard can guide her to sit. Once she's sat, he kneels beside her. "You're going to get through this, Bonnie."

"How?" She whispers. She finally looks at his face. "Meredith and Derek..." she whispers.

"Both stable. Derek has an injury to his hand while Meredith just has some bumps and bruises. Arizone has injured her leg and Yang dislocated her arm. Lexi is..." his voice trails off.

"Oh god." Bonnie whispers with a hiccup. "I hated her but..."

"I know." He stands and squeezes her shoulder gently. "I'm going to find you a blanket, sit tight."

Bonnie goes back to staring at Mark, her hand still loosely holding his. Her mind begins to race back to its thoughts. She can't lose another part of her soul, she just can't; how could the universe allow this to be happening to her? She's faced enough grief for a lifetime but now this. She cannot bring this baby into the world without Mark.

As if sensing its mother's thoughts, Bonnie feels a kick to her side. Her free hand gently rubs the spot before she sits up a little and brings Marks hand to the spot. "Tell your daddy to hold on." She whispers. "Tell him. He can't leave us if you tell him so." She whispers.

Bailey lays a hand on her heart as she stands in the doorway. She quietly backs out so not to disturb. With a shaky breath she pulls her phone from her pocket and plays with her necklace, dialling. "Ewan? It's-"