³³

Bonnie watches Meredith and Derek parade down the hallway like the little happy family they are, pushing a stroller and linking arms and smiling and... gross. Kissing. She looks away as Meredith passes and Derek leans on the station beside Bon.

"It's a beautiful-"

"Go away, I will stab you."

He whistles. "Not a beautiful day. Why so cranky?"

"Jamie decided he wanted to have me and Mark soothe his nightmare at 2am this morning. And then Sofia graciously decided she wanted me to soothe her at 4am. And then my alarm went off at 5." She sighs.

"Welcome to the world of kids." He laughs and pats her back walking off. He pauses for a second; was that the right thing to say to her given the conversation just last night? Before he can turn to apologise, he sees Bonnie is already gone.

Mark is in the staff lounge when he enters. "Don't you dare be all cheery and mcdreamy."

Derek smirks. "You and your lady are in remarkably similar cranky moods." He notes as he pours a coffee.

"Sofia wouldn't settle. Bonnie tackled her and I sorted Jamie. I almost threw the kid on his moms." Mark yawns.

"Damn, you usually love that kid." Derek laughs.

"I do. Maybe a little less this morning but I do." Mark jokes. "Will you come and consult on a tumour for me?"

"Sure, what for?"

Meanwhile, Bonnie finds herself staring into space. She jumps as someone clears their throat. "You look as crabby as I feel."

Bailey rolls her eyes. "Hunt has taken my residents. And my interns. And my patience." She tuts. "The ass."

"Not a fan huh." Bonnie smiles gently. "Can I... ask you a question?"

"You can ask." Bailey playfully sasses.

Bonnie smiles small and looks at the keyboard under her hands. "Do you think it's any different being a mom to a kid that's yours and a kid that isn't?"

Bailey gives a sad hum. "That's a hard question that I think is down to self belief. I personally believe being a mom happens regardless of if the kid is yours or not. It doesn't make you any less their mom."

Bonnie hums and sighs. "That's... true."

"Ben is no less Tuckers dad than my exhusband is." She points out.

She hums again. "Again, very true. Its just... I don't know." She sighs.

Bailey squeezes her arm gently. "You're gonna be a mom. And you're gonna be absolutely amazing at it okay? I believe that." She promises, giving a warm smile before she heads off.

Bonnie exhales slowly and heads off, too. She makes her way to the stock room and begins to gather things; she only came in today to cover for a few hours. And now she wishes she hadn't. She's seen Meredith and Derek with their kid, watched a mother sob as her child was treated in a trauma bay and witnessed an older gentleman stare into space because his children wouldn't bother coming to him. Shit coming from left, right and centre.

"Hello?" She sighs as she sets her phone on the shelf beside her, on speaker so she can hear.

"You fancy bailing? Ewie and I wanna take you out." Poppy says all cheery.

Bonnie checks the time. "I finish at 11, why don't you guys meet me here and then we can go?" She offers.

"Old Bonnie liked skipping." She playfully tuts. "Alright. 11 on the dot okay?"