⁴⁰

"It's Mark."

Bonnie spins on her heel and begins to speed walk back in the direction of his room. The universe shoves every person in her way; patients getting transported, Karen's trying to complain, families searching for their Kin. Her usual, clinical patience is nowhere to be seen.

"Move!" She finally bursts at a group cluttering the hallway.

They give her intense glares and step aside. Bonnie freezes mid-step. "Oh you've got to be kidding me." She snaps with a dark glare.

Arnie stands with a bunch of roses and sunflowers, his free hand held up in surrender. "I come in-"

"You'll leave in pieces if you don't move." She snaps exasperated.

"I came to apologise-"

"I don't need an apology, I need you to move!" Bonnie tears in frustration.

"There's mama." Bailey coos as she carries Rett over, bouncing him as she pats his bum. "Oh... what's going on?" She looks between the two. "Bon?"

"M-Mark." She sniffles.

"Oh gah- go!" Bailey shoos.

Arnie raises a brow. "What's going on? Who's kid is- is that your kid?"

"Yes. He is. Everett Dacre Sloan. I'm sure you'll take issue with his name but right now I don't care! My fiancé could be dead and I'm not there! Move!" She begs.

Arnie slowly moves aside and watches as Bonnie runs off. He turns to look at the squirming boy in the short docs arms. "Dacre..."

"To honour him." Bailey says sternly. "It was Marks idea. And it may be Marks final wish so you can't be an ass." She sways to soothe Rett.

"What's going on?" He demands in confusion.

Bailey's lips tighten. "Plane crash. Mark. Coma." She shrugs and turns away to leave.

Arnie grabs her arm and holds his hand up as she glares. "I'm gonna need more than that."

Meanwhile, Bonnie pushes the elevator button repeatedly. "Cmon cmon- fuck it." She mutters and b-lines for the stairs. She runs up them two at a time, dodging the few people blocking her way. "Ow fu- goddammit!" She cusses as she stubs her toe, sitting for a moment to grab it. "Shit!"

She bursts into tears and covers her face for a moment. She's absolutely hopeless. How can she not even make it to make when he's literally 4 floors up? She can't even take her son when he needs it. How can she function? Utterly useless.

"Bonnie!" Derek calls, rushing up the stairs. "Bo- there you are! Didn't you get my calls and texts?" He says breathlessly.

"I can't do this anymore." She sobs as she shakes her head.

Derek sits beside her and wraps her in his arms. "Oh Norbert." He whispers and kisses her head, just holding her for a moment. "I'm gonna need you to compose yourself for a moment. You're gonna wanna come and see-"

"I can't." She whispers as she grips his shirt. "I can't face it if he's d-dead."

"He isn't dead, Bon. You wanna know what he said?" He asks gently.

Bonnie stops breathing and pulls away to stare at Derek. "S-said? Said? He-"

Derek smiles. "He said 'get me a damn coffee and my girl'. Well, he mumbled it."

She quickly wipes her cheeks and stands, Derek doing the same as he grabs her hand. They walk at a quick but slower than before pace. She grips his arm tightly and pauses outside the door, frozen, not breathing.