01:20 " Intruders"

Kaori hated birthdays

Kaori hated birthdays. It was never a big deal in her family. Since she was little, her family never celebrated like other people. She never had a cake to blow candle on while her parents sang the song. They always did the same thing. Go out to a restaurant to eat their diner together. Even though they spent it together, it didn't feel like it to Kaori. She still felt that loneliness.
And today was the same as the others.

Kaori stood in front of those expensive restaurant with her bag around her shoulder as she waited in the cold. It was only november and Kaori could already see the christmas decorations inside the restaurant.

Letting out deep breath as the cold hit her face, Kaori just stood there waiting for her parents patiently hoping they didn't forget. But if they did, Kaori wouldn't be too surprised.

Hearing the sound of tires were heard making Kaori look up. As she squinted her eyes to see through the fog, Kaori suddenly nervous at the sight of her mother stepping out of the car.

" God, What are you doing standing here looking like a homeless person." Her mother said immediately scolding her as she stood in front of her.

" Usually they say " Happy birthday" but whatever.." Kaori said rolling her eyes as Kaori held the door open for her mother to step inside.

Letting out a sigh, Kaori felt the cold from outside disappear as they walked inside. She stood behind her mother watching her as she talked to the waiter before the waiter glanced towards Kaori smiling.
Kaori looked back at him awkwardly before the waiter brought them to their table.

Removing her jacket, Kaori placed her hair behind her ear before taking a seat in front of her mother.
" Where's dad?" Kaori asked making her mother look up from the menu.

" Work. He says he can't make it." Her mother said showing annoyance in her voice before her eyes landed on Kaori.
" What are you wearing? I thought i told you to wear something nice." She said placing the menu card in the table.

" I had school. I can't go there with fancy clothes." Kaori said trying to keep her eyes on the food options.

" Why not? It might actually get you some friends if you do." Suppressing a annoyed sigh, Kaori just nodded her head.

The rest of the night just continued like this. Kaori just ate in silence while her mother criticized every little thing she had. At that moment Kaori kind of wished she had stayed home. She watched around her seeing other people enjoying their night as friends or as families while they talked. Kaori was jealous of them.

Staring at her now empty plate, Kaori kept glancing towards her mother seeing her take her time as she ate. Only 20 minutes had passed but to Kaori it felt like an eternity. Noticing her mother's phone ringing, Kaori watched as her mother excused herself before stepping outside to answer the phone.