Chapter 15; Awkward Reunion

I stayed at home for a few days and, unfortunately, so did Chris. He insisted he had to stick around and make sure we were both okay. He seemed nicer now, but he seemed nice when I first met him too. Mom was always walking around which was nice because I didn't want to spend a second in the same room with him alone. That changed when mom announced that she needed to get out of the house and refused Chris's offer to drive her. I watched as she drove down the long gravel farm lane with a sinking feeling in my stomach. Two arms snaked around my waist and I didn't hesitate, I whipped around and slapped Chris not caring if it angered him. I wasn't scared of him like I was back in grade eleven...and twelve...and a few weeks ago to be perfectly honest.

"Keep your hands off me." I warned and left the room. My dads death broke me inside, but it also made my stronger, I wasn't going to put up with his shit anymore, or anyone's for that matter. I walked into the kitchen and finished up the dishes I had started. Chris followed me.

"Babe come on, I miss you, and..." he sighed "and I'm sorry." I snorted,

"Sorry my ass Chris, you're a spineless creep and you know it." I spat venomously at him. I set the last pot in the drying rack and let the water out of the sinks, Chris's arms wrapped around me, tapping my arms agianst my sides. He gently nibbled on my ear and kissed my neck. I stuggled to break free of his grasp. I stomped on his foot and elbowed him in the gut and danced out of his reach.

Chris looked up at me anger clear in his eyes. "What happened to the sweet innocent girl I saw alone in the library all those years ago?" He asked, his voice almost sad.

"Where's the kind, gentalmanly man I fell in love with and who would never hurt me?" I returned but my voice wasn't sad, it was flat, devoid of emotion. That's the easy thing about Chris, he was an amazing liar, his voice, and body language made you want to believe whatever he said, but his eyes never lied. We stared each other down for a few more minutes before he spoke again.

"I really am sorry Ky." He said, "my anger gets in the way of a lot of things, but I never wanted it to get between us." My breath faltered. He was doing that thing that made me fall for him the first time. His eyes looked at my from under his eyelashes and his mouth turned down at the corners, he shuffled his feet and looked away before returning his eyes to me. The welled up with tears and he wiped them away before scratching the back of his head. When I didn't say anything he turned and started walking to the front hall.

"Whatever, I'll just go." He mumbled and it broke my heart to see him like this. No matter how much I tried to hold onto the fact he was rude and I really hated him sometimes. They way he looked reminded me of the boy who was my highschool sweetheart. I couldn't let him leave.

"Wait." I said taking a few steps towards his defeated frame. "I'm sorry Chris, I just..." I didn't finish the sentence, I didn't know what to say. Chris stopped and looked back at me. I sighed and walked up to hug him. He gently wrapped his arms around my waist and a sense of familiarity washed over me. I remembered his touch, his sweet kisses, the way he laughed when I put a dollop of whipped cream on his nose. I breathed in his scent, late night camp fires, and maple syrup.

"I'll always love you." he whispered and kissed the top of my head. Suddenly flashes of Griffin ran through my mind, and I pulled back.

"You were my first love Chris, and I'll always love you too but..." I paused as Chris's eyebrows squished in confusion. I sighed knowing he wouldn't take this well.
"I've moved on, I met another guy down in Cali." I said waiting for his reaction. A few emotions passed over his face, confusion, surprise, anger, then his face went blank. He stepped away from me and nodded.

"Okay." Was all he said, I watched his eyes to see what he was really feeling, but they didn't look angry, they looked...calculating. And that scared me more then it should.

--------------------------------------------------

Oh dear, what is Chris doing

Keep commenting and voting! It really helps me write more!

:*
Brynn