Chapter 13; Is He Okay?

I wandered around the house, cleaning and setting things up for my parents when they got here, not able to sit still from my worry. The crunching of gravel announced their arrival. I threw open the door and ran into my mother's arms as she got out of the car.

"Where is dad? Is he okay?" I asked urgently, I had noticed she was alone. Tears were streaked across her face.

"I wanted to take him here but he was in such bad condition..." My mom choked out the words. "I...I took him to the...hospital" Her tears started again and I couldn't help but break down with her. "They won't let anyone see him. And..." She took in a shuddering breath, "The doctors say he won't last much longer." Sobs wracked through my mothers body, I held her against me as we ruined each other's shirts with salt water.

After a few moments of hopeless tears we stuggled our way into the house. It was late so I made supper for us, but neither of us felt like eating. We split into our separate sleeping areas and I lay on my old bed taking in the familiar sights and smells and listened to my mother's faint sobs from her room across the hall.

After about fifteen minutes of tossing and turning in my blankets I slid out of bed and padded over to my mothers room. I lay down beside her and wrapped my arms around her waist. Her tears now ran silently down her face and her breathing was even, but I knew she was still awake. Using each other for strength we slowly drifted to sleep.

----------------------------------------------------

"The food is lovely Mrs. Heffner." Chris said. I looked over at Chris smiling. We had been dating for a few weeks now and this was the first time he was meeting my parents, and though he was nervous, I wasn't. Chris was one of the sweetest guys I knew, I was positive my parents would love him. Just like I did, I reached over and took his hand in mine squeezing it, he squeezed back but kept his focus on his conversation with my dad about the past winter.

"And we had this huge pine tree fall, almost hit the barn!" My dad said talking with his hands. "It took us all weekend to clean up." He resumed eating as Chris began his own story,

"My dad has this beautiful oak tree in the back, I swear he loves it more then me sometimes." Chris began smiling, we laughed at his joke. He went on about how it fell crushing the fencing for their horses so him and his twin brother, Elijah, had to help their dad catch all the horses that escaped. I had only talked to Elijah once, but I saw him all the time at school. The two brothers were identical. Short blondish-brown hair, same face structure. I often had difficulties telling them apart. The rest of the night was wonderful, we talked laughed and ate to out hearts content.

Afterwords Chris left, I walked out to the car with him.

"I had a really good time tonight." he said taking my hands in his. I smiled at him,

"Me too." I whispered, Chris leaned in towards me but I hesitated.

"My parents are watching." I said nervously.

"I know." Chris leaned in the rest of the way and sweetly kissed me, making electricity tingle through my whole body. He pulled away and smiled at me before getting in his car and driving away. I basically skipped inside. I called out to my parents that I was going to bed then bounded up the creaky wooden steps. I flopped down on my bed and let my mind wander.

I thought about how much my dad liked Chris, and vice versa. How much of a gentalman he was, and how he was my first real boyfriend. Sure I've "dated" a guy or two earlier in highschool, but that mostly consisted of holding hands and hugging. Chris was the first guy I had ever kissed, the first guy I actually felt proud to bring home to my parents. The first guy I was totally head over heels for.

----------------------------------------------------

Heyyy
So... what do you guys think of the softer side of Chris? Before he goes all rude and abusive?

What do you think will happen to Kylie's dad?

Keep reading and don't forget to vote!

Hugs and kisses,
Brynn