Chapter 14; Hospital

Quick warning before you read this chapter.
You maybe want to have some tissues near by.

--------------------------------------------------

We woke early and immediately headed to the hospital. We were directed to the emergency wing and then to room 209. My mom and I sat outside the room as people and doctors walked passed us. My mom held my hand to keep me calm but my knee was bobbing up and down uncontrollably.

"I'm sure he'll be fine." I said half to my mom and half to myself, my mom brushed her thumb over the back of my hand. Suddenly the door to my fathers room opened and out came a middle aged bald man wearing a white lab coat and scrubs. His name tag read Dr. Ross. He looked up from his clipboard and smiled at us, his eyes were lined with crows feet, I assumed it was because of the stress and having to tell so many families that they weren't whole anymore. I didn't want him to say that to me.

"Ladies," He greeted us, "Your husband is in a stable condition, but I don't think there will be a light at the end of his tunnel." He said to my mom. Why did all doctors have to talk in riddles? Couldn't he just tell us it was a false alarm? That my dad was going to be alright? That he would come home and push me on the swing in the backyard like he did when I was younger, or buy me fast food after a summer soccer game?

"What does that mean?" I blurted out, his kind eyes looked at me and he smiled sadly.

"It means that he won't recover." Dr. Ross said. It felt like time slowed, I couldn't hear anything anymore, I sank back down into my chair. Memories, wisps of past moments fluttered through my brain, my father hugging me on my first day of school, building me a tree house that I could play in with my few friends, teaching me how to ride a bike, change a tire, how to properly cook a marshmallow so I could have the perfect s'more. His laugh, the way his eyes sparkled when he smiled. Tears trickled from my eyes.

"I'm so sorry." The doctor's voice sounded distant and slow, I suddenly couldn't breathe. I would have no father to walk me down the aisle, to play peek-a-boo with my kids. To be there when I graduate university. I choked out a sob, I needed to see him, I needed to see my dad right now. I lurched forward but two strong arms caught me and held me back. I stuggled agianst them but I was too weak. I wiped the tears from my eyes and my stomach dropped to my toes when I saw who was holding me. Him.

"Let go of me." I said keeping my face blank. My body stiffened. Chris shook his head,

"I can't, you have to wait Ky." He said. His eyes looked sad, I knew he liked my dad, and my dad liked him, so did my mom. Only because I never told them what had happened between us. I didn't move, I just kept staring him down, I saw a glint of anger behind his sad eyes and knew what I was getting myself into, I shot a quick glance at my mom who was staring vacantly and an empty space on the wall to remind him that we weren't alone. He released his grip and I took a step back. He went over and hugged my mom who had tears rolling freely across her face, my mom and dad's thirty year anniversary was the day they left for their trip. She had spent more then half her life with him and soon he would be ripped from her grasp. I collapsed back into my chair. Dr. Ross stood on the othe side of my mom trying to comfort her.

"Can we see him?" I managed to get out, I wasn't crying anymore but that was only because I had run out of tears. Dr. Ross looked at me and nodded solemnly.

"Of course," he opened the door and led all of us in. My dad lay on the hospital bed, wires and tubes connected him to various beeping machines. He look thin and frail, his skin was pale and his breathing labored.

"Hi daddy." I said swallowing the lump in my throat. I pulled up a chair beside him and held his hand. His head slowly turned towards me.

"My beautiful...princess...has come to save...me." he wheezed, I smiled and pushed his hair out of his grey eyes.

"I'm here dad." I say softly and he raises a shaky hand to my face, I take it and hold it to my cheek. My mom walks over and puts a hand on my shoulder. Dad smiles,

"I love you...both...so m-" he stuggles out his last few words and his hand goes limp in mine. I let out a strangled cry and turn burying my face into my mothers stomach.

----------------------------------------------------

I know I'm sorry that was mean, please don't kill me for that. I really wanted to bring to light the relationship Kylie has/had with her parents.

Plus you finally meet Chris!

I hope you are enjoying this story as much as I am!

XOXO
Brynn