Chapter 11; Midnight Memories

"Please Chris, this isn't working out." I said as I struggled to get out of his grasp.

"The hell it isn't! You promised remember! You promised!" Chris shouted and his hand came flying down. Stinging pain shot through my cheek and I fell to the ground. I whimpered in pain as I slowly got to my feet. Chris's face was angry, I saw his hand raise again and I closed my eyes waiting for the next blow.

This was the second time I woke up next to Griffin. Unlike last time though, it was still dark out. I turned my head to look at the clock, careful not to disturb Griffin's arm that was draped across my middle. 3:34, damn. Knowing I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep because of the nightmares of...Him. I slowly shimmied my way out from under Griffin's sleeping body. I sneaked out of the room and went to open the sliding door, hoping fresh air would clear my head. Kasey lifted her head and her big eyes looked up at me. Sighing I held the door open for her as well. After slipping outside and closing the door behind us I walked down the steps and onto the beach. It was a warm night, humid too, but a breeze ghosted over my skin and made me shiver. It felt like His touch. Even though I graduated highschool and went to a university far away from those horrors I should've know I could never escape them, He would haunt me forever...Chris Maquille.

I shuddered as I thought his name. Kasey whined so I knelt down to pet her. She watched me as I played with the fur around her ears, in some ways Kasey seemed human. She had definitely become my closest friend, other then Griffin. Griffin, his name brought a lump to my throat. I liked him, a lot, but with what had happened with my last relationship I didn't know if I was ready for another one just yet. The way he kissed me made me feel different though, it wasn't greedy or demanding like Chris, Griffin was sweet, and funny, Hell, he even saved my life! But I couldn't do that to him, hurt him like that. No one wants something that's broken. I click of the latch on the porch door pulled me from my depressing thoughts.

"Kylie?" It was Griffin. Swallowing the lump in my throat and wiping away the tears that I didn't know I had shed I turned to face him.

"Oh my god, hey, are you okay?" Griffin said walking up to me resting his hands on my shoulders and checking me over to see if I was hurt.

"I don't know if I can do this Griffin I'm sorry." I said stepping forward and hugging him. One of his hands came up to tuck my head into his neck hugging me close before taking a step back to look at me.

"What's wrong?" He asked an indent forming between his eyebrows when they smushed together in worry.

"I...it's..." I stuttered, I was gasping for breath now, sobs racking through my body. What have I gotten myself into? I've know this guy for a week! That's it! Suddenly I was going to tell him everything that I've kept hidden about me? I don't think so! Taking a deep breath I tried again. "It's nothing, I can deal with it. Just some emotional crap that I should be stronger about." I said firmly squaring my shoulders and bottling up my feelings...again.

"You sure?" He asked letting his arms fall.

"Yep." I have a curt nod and walked back inside with Kasey at my heels. I paused at the threshold feeling sorry that I'd been so rough on Griffin. "Are you...do you want to come back in?" I asked a bit softer. Griffin watched the dark waves lap and the motionless shore, the night was silent.

"Yeah." He turned and brushed past me back into the house. I sighed knowing that I'd screwn everything up and closed the sliding door. I walked in to see Griffin setting up the couch. Sadness crushed my heart.

"I'm sorry Griffin." I whispered.

"It's fine Kylie. You need space, I get it." He said as he moved around on the couch to get comfortable. I looked at the floor as I shuffled back into my room. I flopped down on the mattress. Suddenly the bed felt too big, and cold. This is ridiculous! I can't believe I'm so broken over a guy I've know a week! Growling in frustration with myself I moved around until I was comfortable then fell asleep. Only to be haunted by Chris again.

"You bitch!" Chris yelled at me looking astonished at the food on the front of his shirt that I had thrown at him.

"Stay the hell away from me Chris! Don't ever come near me again!" I yelled backing away knowing he was super angry. Chris stalked towards me.

"Listen you worthless piece of trash. I'm not going anywhere. You are mine, you hear? MINE!" Chris' hand came up and slapped me across the face. He then roughly grabbed my chin and pulled my face to his. Crushing his lips against mine he bit my bottom lip, hard. Salty blood reached my tongue and I tried to squirm my way away from Chris but his arms wrapped around me like steel girders slamming my shaking body agains the wall.

----------------------------------------------------

O_o
Brynn